Honored Contributor

Can they cause headaches, I have been on Eliquis post op since my hip surgery, I have 5 days to go. Can they casue headaches, i have had an intense one since my surgery and I am pretty sure it is the blood thinner. 

Any one have any experience.

The doctors says this is not possible, but I know what I feel

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Blood thinners

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox 

DH takes Coumadin (blood thinner) daily for a clot in his abdominal aorta, but he reports no headaches.

Hope your headaches are resolved soon!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox  I was on Eliquis for 2 years and did not have headaches.  Could it be due to anesthesia? I think I heard that was possible.  Hope they go away soon.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV 

Surgery was over 4 weeks ago I would think not from the anesthesia. Headache and stomach issues are listed as the top two issues and I have both right now, thanks for the input

@MoJoV wrote:

@I am still oxox  I was on Eliquis for 2 years and did not have headaches.  Could it be due to anesthesia? I think I heard that was possible.  Hope they go away soon.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

I was on Coumadin/Warfarin for over 7 years. No headaches. As for the new(?)ones like Eliquis/Pradaxa etc.? I would not take any of them,  not even temporarily. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I thought the eye mask was giving you headaches. I would talk to your doctor. 

Valued Contributor

I have a family member that is an Anesthesiologist, and she has said it  can cause headaches.

However, DH went on eliquis. He was like a child kicking and screaming about blood thinners. He claimed it gave him a headache (I rolled my eyes at that) because I figured he was looking for any reason to not take a blood thinner. He was switched to Xarelto and he's had no complaints. While a headache may not be a "common" side effect, any med can effect anyone differently. In his case, the eliquis did actually give him a headache. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse 

Thanks for following my health so closely, I changed the eye mask and still have headaches.

The side effects of Eliquis is headaches and gastric upset, both of which I have

@GenXmuse wrote:

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@GenXmuse 

Thanks for following my health so closely, I changed the eye mask and still have headaches.

The side effects of Eliquis is headaches and gastric upset, both of which I have

@GenXmuse wrote:

You're welcome. 

Honored Contributor

The way I see it, you have two options. 

You can either stop taking it and see if the headaches go away or you can grin and bear it for 5 more days and see if they go away once you're done with it.