Honored Contributor

Here are some exercises on youtube for the pain you might find helpful. Just be careful and do slowly.  

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=help+for+sciatica+pain+relief

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@fortune 

@Foxxee 

Good point about too much sitting .... sometimes it's unavoidable.

Last December, I bought a cushion from Amazon - it was $25.  I take it with me whenever I know I'll be sitting any length of time.  At home - it's on my desk chair.

Plixio Memory Foam Seat Cushion - chair pillow for sciatica, coccyx, back and tailbone pain relief - orthopedic chair pad for support in office desk chair, car, wheelchair and airplane.

---------------------------------------------

@Foxxee wrote:

@fortune wrote:

I have severe pain from sciatica and need help to treat it on my own.  I can't go to a doctor right now because of the pandemic.  Thanks for any info!!

@fortune 

Sometimes a sedentary lifestyle, too much sitting is the cause.  I found walking the best treatment.  Until it's resolved, pain meds, and a heating pad.  

Frequent Contributor

Re: SCIATICA--HOW TO TREAT

[ Edited ]

What helped me the most is to stretch B4 you get out of bed.  Flex your feet, bring your knee to your chest - place your hand around the back of your knee for support.  Do  one leg  at a time- then both. Hold it there so you can feel the stretch.  When both knees are at your chest, roll to the right - then left. 

If you have trouble gettting out of bed - roll both knees to the floor & push up on the bed to get upright.

I found ice helped best but place the pack for 15 minutes only.  Same for if heat feels better.  Your body adapts after 15 minutes so don't do it any longer.

Hope this helps.  It is hard to get rid off but keep stretching.

Honored Contributor

@fortune 

I developed sciatica after I retired from teaching  from carrying too much weight as Dillard's stylist and had to quit.

I went to a chiropractor which inflamed me to the point I could barely walk.

My MD put me on cold packs, warned me not to stand under the hot shower (it increases inflamation even more) and I am on meloxicam which is an antiflamitory.

There are exercises on youtube for this condition.  

Hope you feel better.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago I had debilitating pain from my sciatic nerve.  Not the nerve running down my back. but the extension going down my left leg.  I actually had hurt the nerve itself and nothing... nothing relieved it!  Not cold, not heat, nothing (and I tried it all)....untl I was given steroids, then it started going away.  I think I will remember the pain the rest of my life, it was so awful....  Good luck to everyone dealing with this!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

MD's & physical therapists are taking appointments by telemedicine. Many are open for you to come in and schedule an appointment as well.

Honored Contributor

For me, an iced gel pack placed at the bottom part of the spinal cord works the best.

Those flat gel packs. If they are very super thick and short, they aren't comfortable.  The slim-ish, longer ones work the best. 

After twenty or so minutes, my back, and therefore my sciatica is feeling fine.

General tip:

Just make sure you don't bend over picking up anything.  That's a no-no.   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  It was so wonderful that all of you took the time to recommend help for me and my sciatica!  I took notes and will try to follow your suggestions! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SCIATICA--HOW TO TREAT

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee @ALRATIBA ...I don't know which of the two wrote the post about the pillow, so here goes...

I have lived with back and right leg pain most of my life.  Had three back surgeries which made it worse and the sciatica pain has become the biggest pain in my life.  I just saw your post about the pillow and even if it were to cost $50 I would buy it.  I spend a lot of time at my computer and that pillow sounds like a Godsend so I am going to order one today.  So glad I found you. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

@ALRATIBA.. I also noticed a Plixio Gel seat cushion..sounds the same as you mentioned but with cooling Gel..I am going to order one . Do you think the Gel would be better...? Also lists yours both with great ratings