Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

well this only happened one time and i did eat wrong for a week or longer.

i would sure not want surgery with it happening only one time.

i am hoping for some advice on Getting Over the Fear of eating again!

things i have been eating that was wrong and i knew it was

pepp pizza, spagetti sauce, mayo, alot of jelly and peanut butter, chocolate, fried food, gravy and more and had been doing this for over a week!!

this attack was a wake up call to get back on track!

i have nexium but dont take every day!

@FlowerBear. Did you know drugs like Nexium must be taken daily and continuously to be effective?  They are not to be taken on an "as needed" basis.  When taken long term, such drugs can have dangerous side effects.  Before you take another, please "google" this class of drugs (Omeprazole) and read about them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

'Oh'......... I forgot to mention that sleeping with your head elevated helps the acid to 'stay down' and not travel upward. 

Try to find comfortable pillows that allows you to keep your head/torso slightly elevated.  The famous QVC pillow man's 'My Pillow" pillows work quite well (for me).  

(Now that I'm thinking about it, the word 'pillow' is an odd word, isn't it (?) )

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@FlowerBear. You need to see a doctor ASAP and quit trying to seek medical advice from an internet shopping board.  This condition is potentially very serious and you should be under the treatment by a doctor.  Thete are OCT drugs that might help you buy some like Omeprazole can be dangerous.  You might try Pepcid or Tagamet which are acid reducers, until you can get to the doctor.  Please don't put this off.

@Kachina624   Tagamet and Pepcid are H2 blockers.  Omeprazole is a proton-pump inhibitor.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday.  Yes, I  know.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I can relate to that; I have had such an attack several times over the years and it is scary.  I had a gastric bypass 25 years ago and occasionally, I will eat too fast or too much or something that is rich and greasy.....and that's when I will experience reflux.  I'm assuming this has never happened to you before and it was food related.  In that case, try not to dwell on it and you will forget about it and you'll be able to eat normally again.

Honored Contributor

You have been given a lot of great advice.  My acid problems began when I was about 17 yrs. old.  Some other things I have learned over the years are:  No tight clothing. No garments that "hold your tummy in"!!

Don't sleep on your right side. It pushes stomach acid up. Don't sleep on your stomach.  Cut back on hot spicy food or eliminate it all together.  Eat smaller potions at a time.  Some people have good luck with apple cider vinegar.  It has to be a certain kind so look it up before you buy. Be sure if your meds say "take with food" to do just that.

Many medicines taken on an empty stomach can be quite the culprits.  Get a dietary list from your doctor of foods  like fruits and veges that are low on the acid charts.   Oranges, grapefruit, and tomatoes will set me off in a heartbeat.  I can have pasta such as spaghetti or lasagna once a week and it doesn't bother me as long as I keep it an "occasional treat".  Everyone is different.  You might try to keep a food journal.  Good luck!