Honored Contributor

JUDALINE:

A few years ago, I had a cold and frequent coughing spells due to post nasal drip.........

'Anyway'..........The only thing that immediately stopped my coughing spell was honey.  So, I carried a small jar of honey and a small spoon with me everywhere.

I keep suggesting honey to various people with coughs, but they seem to not pay any attention (to me).

Honey really works, without any of those OTC bottles of 'this and that' ingredients in cough syrup.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

You might want to read Dr. Jamie Koufman’s book Dropping Acid.   It describes the foods in great detail.

Honored Contributor

Also, I keep a jar of saltine crackers on my bedside table.

Just in case I awaken with an acidic tummy. 

It seems to 'soak up' the acid.  Sort of neutralizes acid, imo.

I have recommended this to a few others, and they do the same.  Well, at least they SAY that it works for them........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBearI have suffered from reflux disease for years and took Nexium daily for 3 years and felt great. I was able to wean myself off it though, but I do have to watch my diet and I don't eat much period. I still have reflux, but it's mild and one Tums usually takes care of it. If I feel like my esophagus is getting too irritated I will go on a 14 day dose of Nexium, but I have only had to do that 3 times in 3 years. My doctor doesn't think taking Nexium over the counter is a big deal, he thinks the alternative is more dangerous.

Honored Contributor

Re: Reflux attack

[ Edited ]

I eat pickled ginger and I also drink ginger tea sometimes. Ginger really helps me with my reflux. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear 

Sorry you are having this problem.  

I had AWFUL, very painful problem in November.  Seemed everything I ate made it kick up.  

Took 1 OTC NEXUM  daily, for 3 weeks, and was almost immediately pain free.  I have since stopped the NEXUM, and am eating my normal

Lacto-Ovo with no issues.

Perhaps your system just needs a bit of soothing, as mine did.  Just a thought, hope you are better soon.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And when you can not breath, it is scary ,i have had this happen several times.Try drinking a small amount of milk,and laying on your left side.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  My son in law has similar problems.

I have a hiatal hernia.  Sometimes I have trouble with it but I've had it for so long.  It can cause digestive problems.

Anyway, my son-in-law had the testing where they put something down his throat and that's when they discovered it.

He was told to (among other things) not eat spicy food, etc.

He'll eventually have to get the 'flap' something or other that causes (?) the problem fixed.

I'm 73 and the way I look at life is you're gonna have things that go wrong in the body and wear out...decide what and when to get 'whatever' fixed.

But my son in law is only 46 so he'll need to get that done early next year.

Extra weight doesn't help the situation either.  He isn't overweight but I sure am.

I hope all of you feel better soon.  It's terrible when you can't enjoy your food and are afraid to eat because you don't know when an 'attack' is going to come.

I have an unbelievably bad back so any pain I experience with anything other than my back isn't that bad.

This is a terrible time for you ladies to be hurting like that.  There's so much temptation and goodies that are rich around.

Again, I hope you all feel better soon.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  My son in law has similar problems.

I have a hiatal hernia.  Sometimes I have trouble with it but I've had it for so long.  It can cause digestive problems.

Anyway, my son-in-law had the testing where they put something down his throat and that's when they discovered it.

He was told to (among other things) not eat spicy food, etc.

He'll eventually have to get the 'flap' something or other that causes (?) the problem fixed.

I'm 73 and the way I look at life is you're gonna have things that go wrong in the body and wear out...decide what and when to get 'whatever' fixed.

But my son in law is only 46 so he'll need to get that done early next year.

Extra weight doesn't help the situation either.  He isn't overweight but I sure am.

I hope all of you feel better soon.  It's terrible when you can't enjoy your food and are afraid to eat because you don't know when an 'attack' is going to come.

I have an unbelievably bad back so any pain I experience with anything other than my back isn't that bad.

This is a terrible time for you ladies to be hurting like that.  There's so much temptation and goodies that are rich around.

Again, I hope you all feel better soon

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear. You need to see a doctor ASAP and quit trying to seek medical advice from an internet shopping board.  This condition is potentially very serious and you should be under the treatment by a doctor.  There are OTC drugs that might help you buy some time. Omeprazole can be dangerous.  You might try Pepcid or Tagamet which are acid reducers, until you can get to the doctor.  Please don't put this off.  Surgery is a last resort for this condition and is done only in extreme cases.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment