Honored Contributor

I live with chronic esophogeal issues, including reflux, because I have scleroderma. My rheumy put me on Nexium but I didn't want to take that long-term so now I have to be very careful about what and when I eat. My diet is very bland and mostly plant-based. I don't have much of a choice when it comes to food.

Respected Contributor

If I overdo chocolate and desserts, I find myself reaching for the antacids.  Get back to the more careful eating plan you know works for you.  Don't eat in the evenings. Don't lie down after eating.  Cut back on cofffee and drink lots of water.  

Eat small portions ...small amounts throughout the day. 

I'm sure you know all this....but if you follow a plan like this you will undoubtedly not have bad issues.

Hope you  get feeling better soon.

Honored Contributor

"epp pizza, spagetti sauce, mayo, alot of jelly and peanut butter, chocolate, fried food, gravy and more and had been doing this for over a week!!"

That'll do it.

I've had them.  My symptoms are a bit different.  I get nauseated, chills, pain and burning in my stomach, esophagus and throat.  No choking or coughing.

I begin eating rice with a little sugar and tea for several days.  Then, I add cooked chicken and vegetables.  I have been on that diet for 3 weeks until I felt better.  For me, rice calms everything down.  

I take omeprazole everyday, too.  I take a Tum or 2 in between if I get nauseated, but more than 4 hours before or after I take the omeprazole.  A heating pad over my stomach area helps.

If you can't get anything down because of coughing and choking, maybe you need to see your doctor.  

Hope you feel better soon.  

Honored Contributor

I've never had an attack as bad as you describe @FlowerBear but what has eliminated reflux for me has been eating smaller quantities of food at any one meal, eating less fat (animal and vegetable), relying less on dairy, and eating more fiber at every meal.

But in addition to paying attention to my food intake, I try to split my exercise minutes as many days as possible so that I get some exercise before each meal.

Haven't had reflux at all when I've followed this discipline.

Respected Contributor

My husband had surgery back in 2006 to take his stomach out of his chest and anchor it. The doctor also sewed up a softball sized hole. Surgery was laparoscopic and recovery time minimal. The doctor was concerned the stomach could flip and the reflux attacks were getting worse.  We did not want a situation where he would need emergency surgery. He still has reflux but it's controlled with medication and we don't worry about his stomach twisting.

Respected Contributor

Re: Reflux attack

[ Edited ]

I had a whole bag of sour cream and cheddar chips a few weeks ago, over several days of eating them  and have had french onion dip too. 

Oh and I have also been eating a lot of jelly and peanut butter from a spoon!

I guess since I had no issues from this, I could go all out and eat what I wanted!  Sure found out that this is not true!

Valued Contributor

@FlowerBear you probably know this but eat small amounts and avoid acidic foods and beverages.  drink plenty of water.  you might want to try aloe vera juice to aid in healing.  best to you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Reflux attack

[ Edited ]

Meats and breads are the worst for me and especially dry meat, a la chicken breasts.  My friend choked to death on steak and I have not eaten steak in about 30 years because I almost choked on a piece of steak before she had that experience.  I once choked on cheese in an Italian meal and thought I was going to die.  Some dietitians say chicken breast is one of the best for GERD but I almost choked on it and I know at least a dozen people who have said the same.  Perhaps if you cut it into 1/18-inch size bites it is fine, but not a regular 1/2 x 1/2-inch size.  

Alcohol, fried foods, colas, any caffeinated beverages, peppermint, the acid-type foods (tomatoes), and late-night snacks are said to be the worst offenders.

I think greens are the best for me.  I do well with high fiber.  I have had doctors tell me that peppermint soothes the digestive tract because it stimulates digestive enzymes but there are those dietitians who say it is one of the worst things you can do.  I personally know that chewing gum of the minty kind eases indigestion.

I have diverticulitis, pancreatitis and GERD, so my diet can become very tricky.  I swear that chicken breast is the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth and nearly choked me to death but dietitians say it is one of the best things and rice and bread almost choke me but then dietitians vouch for it.  So, the things that work for me may not work for others who have one issue since I have a multitude.

In the case of chicken breast, rice and bread, I will not eat it regardless of what dietitian recommends it.  Choked once, don't need a rerun.  

Honored Contributor

For those interested Google 

Water brash

I suffer from this at times

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear 

Was diagnosed, via Endoscopy, years ago having these problems. Now I had this when I was Asymptomatic of any problems with my digestive tract. Never had, nor have had an Acid Reflux problem(you say attack), not sure at what point Reflux is considered an "attack".

My diagnosis, minus any ongoing symptoms?

1. GERD(reflux is not as severe))

2. Hiatal Hernia

3. Inflammed Esophagus 

4. Barrett's Esophagus(precursor to Esophageal Cancer)

Umpteen plus Endoscopies since that time. Been on 40mg of Nexium(and it's genrric) twice a day since. 

I see your situation as "fortunate" since it has been only 1 time. That, and you suspecting or knowing the cause, is a BIG Plus for you. Seems like if you suspicions are right, you just have to be more judicious in your choices of food/drink. That to me is a good thing.

hckynut

hckynut(john)