Respected Contributor

Re: Question about upcoming physical checkup

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It has been 4 years since I had a complete physical.

I heard it is best not to bring up any "concerns" as they code physicals different if you mention ISSUES you are concerned with. Then you are charged  a fee  When a yearly exam is normally free.

Should I make seperate appointment for the two concerns I have? How would you handle this. 

I would call and speak to someone in the doctor's office, for the most accurate information.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@gizmogal @SeaMaiden Today's physical is mostly driven by blood work after blood pressure and urine sample is taken at time of the physica.  .  I gave up EKG's because some believe that results are only as good as the day they are taken although the doctor can eamine the results for any difference from year to  year

Honored Contributor

If you have Medicare, ask whatever questions you wish and bring up your list of concerns.

The doctor will not be billing Medicare or an Advantage plan for a physical.  Medicare does not cover physicals.  The doctor will use a code for either a wellness visit (probably not) or an office visit to recheck a previous concern.

Esteemed Contributor

Why would you want to make 2 appointments? When the doctor asks if you have any concerns, talk about it when you're there. So what if they coded a little differently and you have a copayment. If you go back for another visit, you're going to still pay another copayment.

Honored Contributor

When I go in for a wellness check I ask for specific blood tests. I tell my doctor that I want to know what my specific numbers are. My doctor knows that I am proactive with my health and that I'm not there to look for problems. I just want to know the status of my current health condition by examining my numbers. I don't have any concerns other than that.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden I do remember a long thread about 2 years ago about this subject.  It seems to depend on your insurance carrier and what THEY consider a physical.  I would suggest you call your doctor's office and speak to someone in billing as they probably know more about how things are coded.  You also could call your insurance company and ask them, assuming anybody will actually talk to you.  

From what I remember in the earlier discussion, it seemed Medicare's definition of a "physical" didn't even include bloodwork, but I could be incorrect.  I'm still on the overly expensive ACA plan.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SeaMaiden I do remember a long thread about 2 years ago about this subject.  It seems to depend on your insurance carrier and what THEY consider a physical.  I would suggest you call your doctor's office and speak to someone in billing as they probably know more about how things are coded.  You also could call your insurance company and ask them, assuming anybody will actually talk to you.  

From what I remember in the earlier discussion, it seemed Medicare's definition of a "physical" didn't even include bloodwork, but I could be incorrect.  I'm still on the overly expensive ACA plan.

@Icegoddess   I believe the secondary insurance should cover what Medicare does not? I pay $785.00 a month for DH and I for blue cross Premera coverage along with or Medicare.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess   I believe the secondary insurance should cover what Medicare does not? I pay $785.00 a month for DH and I for blue cross Premera coverage along with or Medicare.

@SeaMaiden sorry, I really know nothing about Medicare and it's supplements.  Hubby is on it, but I'm not.  We pay over $950/month just for ME on an ACA "cheap" plan, and that is the only carrier available to individuals in the state.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   If you are talking about the Medicare well check vs a doctor appointment, from my experience....you cannot bring up issues you are having during your medicare visit or you are charged differently (more money).

If it were me I'd just schedule an appointment and get things taken care of in 1 visit...just my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

My wellness exam last year consisted of bp and weight/height check, going over my current medications, asking if I needed renewals.  I then had to draw a circle, numbered it as a clock and make the hands point to 2:45.  Before doing that she gave me 3 words to remember (apple, table, penney)  and asked me to repeat them about 10 minutes later.  Asked about my balance, had me walk to the door and back at a brisk pace.  Gave me paperwork for bloodwork, listened to my heart and lungs and that was it.  I did not have any concerns but did have the impression I could address them if I did..

This year I'm just telling her to forget the memory thing and will throw the apple, table penney back at her lol.