Honored Contributor

Re: Question about upcoming physical checkup

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SeaMaiden I do remember a long thread about 2 years ago about this subject.  It seems to depend on your insurance carrier and what THEY consider a physical.  I would suggest you call your doctor's office and speak to someone in billing as they probably know more about how things are coded.  You also could call your insurance company and ask them, assuming anybody will actually talk to you.  

From what I remember in the earlier discussion, it seemed Medicare's definition of a "physical" didn't even include bloodwork, but I could be incorrect.  I'm still on the overly expensive ACA plan.

@Icegoddess   I believe the secondary insurance should cover what Medicare does not? I pay $785.00 a month for DH and I for blue cross Premera coverage along with or Medicare.

If you have a Medicare supplement, it will only cover Medicare deductibles and coinsurance.  If Mesicate doesn't cover something, the supplement won't either.

Honored Contributor

Nevre heard of such a thing @SeaMaiden   especially at an annula WELLNESS appointment. Gee, that what it's all about, your wellness, all of it, inside and out, all the aches and pains, worries and concerns. The good, the bad, and the ugly if you will.

That is why you're there afterall.

Honored Contributor

Don't listen to peoplewho don't know bleeping thing about medical billing or medical coding.  That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of.  Who in their right mind would have a physical and lie to the doctor and hide concerns?  YOU see the doctor and be honest.  That's all you have to be concerned with.  The phsyician, the biller, the coder if the have one will take do their jobs.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

It was either my Health Insurance or  my Primary Care Physicians group that sent me info that any new problems need to be addressed at a separate  office appointment  rather than at my yrly physical  due to billing . So, yes I've heard this

Obviiously, you misunderstood whatever it was they said or what you read in the subscriber's booklet.  . 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't know about your question but you're right about one thing - most doctor offices work every angle to maximize revenue and/or insurance company reimburesments.  In the past, it's worked in my favor.  Routine eye exams weren't covered by my insurance but because of an eye condition I had, the opthalmologist was able to get insurance reimbursement for the exam.

They were reimbursed because they coded it and billed it correctly.  You have a covered eye condition which I assume is monitored so no opthalmology visit for you is ever "routine".  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I go in for a wellness check I ask for specific blood tests. I tell my doctor that I want to know what my specific numbers are. My doctor knows that I am proactive with my health and that I'm not there to look for problems. I just want to know the status of my current health condition by examining my numbers. I don't have any concerns other than that.

@SilleeMee  Could you please list the blood tests you request? I would like to know what Tests I should  or want to have and bring the list with me

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It has been 4 years since I had a complete physical.

I heard it is best not to bring up any "concerns" as they code physicals different if you mention ISSUES you are concerned with. Then you are charged  a fee  When a yearly exam is normally free.

Should I make seperate appointment for the two concerns I have? How would you handle this. 

@SeaMaiden 

Okay, I have to ask .... where did you hear this?   

Personally, any time I have an MD appointment, I come with a list and we go over everything on my list, to my satisfaction,  in addition to whatever I'm there for.

BTW ... it's always good to review the EOB or whatever statement you get to be sure the charges, or lack thereof, are correct.  Sometimes billing people do make mistakes.

Since I don't know where you heard this information, I would ask the doc at the appointment.   JMO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I go in for a wellness check I ask for specific blood tests. I tell my doctor that I want to know what my specific numbers are. My doctor knows that I am proactive with my health and that I'm not there to look for problems. I just want to know the status of my current health condition by examining my numbers. I don't have any concerns other than that.

@SilleeMee  Could you please list the blood tests you request? I would like to know what Tests I should  or want to have and bring the list with me

@SeaMaiden 

What's usually ordered in a checkup is a CBC and a chemistry panel. In addition to those I ask for a lipid profile to determine my cholesterol levels (LDL + HDL). Then finally I ask for A1C, vitamin D and vitamin B12 tests.

-CBC checks for anemia and for white blood cell counts.

-Chem panel mostly checks for liver and kidney function with some tests looking at cardiovascular status.

-Lipid profile checks for cholesterol (broken down to HDL and LDL).

-A1C, vitamins D and B12, self explanatory.

One of the most useful and inexpensive diagnostiic tests is a urinalysis. It can reveal a great deal about a person's overall health. If a UA is not part of an exam then I would ask for one.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I heard it is best not to bring up any "concerns" as they code physicals different if you mention ISSUES you are concerned with. Then you are charged  a fee  When a yearly exam is normally free.

Should I make seperate appointment for the two concerns I have? How would you handle this. 

@SeaMaiden 

Personally, any time I have an MD appointment, I come with a list and we go over everything on my list, to my satisfaction,  in addition to whatever I'm there for.

BTW ... it's always good to review the EOB or whatever statement you get to be sure the charges, or lack thereof, are correct.  Sometimes billing people do make mistakes.

Since I don't know where you heard this information, I would ask the doc at the appointment.   JMO

@Tinkrbl44   I have  learned a lot from you all putting in your feelings and suggestions.  Will think things over and go in prepared

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

@Tinkrbl44   I have  learned a lot from you all putting in your feelings and suggestions.  Will think things over and go in prepared

@SeaMaiden 

ITA ... there's a wealth of information to be found from posters with different opinions and life experience.   

Hope your check-up goes well!