Respected Contributor

Question about cataract surgery

I know there has been at least 1 thread about this in the past, but I just want to ask a  specific question and hope someone can answer.  I live alone, so I just have some concerns for the day of and after I get home.

1.  After I come home from surgery, will I be able to do my regular chores which include bending to lace my shoes and taking care of my cat like feeding her and scoop out the litter box?

This issue just popped into my head and I was wondering what your experiences have been.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about cataract surgery

People will answer you here who have had the operation, I have not. Your doctor will tell you..but cleaning kitty litter I think is a no-no, because of infection possibilities!

Respected Contributor

I had my surgery done several years ago and I think I remember something about not bending over but I forget how long that was.  If I had to reach to the floor I tried to keep by body straight and look straight ahead.  They don't want you bending over and putting pressure on your eyes.  But, I would call your doctor's office and I'm sure they can answer your question.  And, I'm also sure you will not be the first to ask that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can relay my mom's experience, as I was the one to care for her and take her to and from surgery. 

She walked out of laser surgery each time, went straight to a restaurant and ate lunch. It was only 10 minutes from the time she walked off the table till out the front door of the clinic. 

She chose to come home and take a long nap (we were told most people do, but she could do anything she needed to right away. She could dress, tie shoes, shower etc. 

I would be very cautious with the cleaning of cat boxes. Use disposable gloves, and throw them away each time, wear the big sunglasses they give you to protect your eyes from the dust while cleaning them. If it were me, I'd try to set up some extra boxes so maybe you don't have to clean them for a couple of days at all to avoid the dust, or see if a friend or neighbor can come do it for a couple of day. This is only being super cautious, but if it is an option, you might want to try to do it.

Honored Contributor

I have had the surgery on both eyes, ask your eye doctor, I would also consider wearing protective eye wear to change the litter

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I am sure this must have been covered with you prior to the surgery:  you need to have an adult with you to take you to and from the surgery.

Very true about being able to eat breakfast or lunch right afterwards.  Sleepiness that afternoon also.

Good luck.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CLEM My mom had the surgery on both eyes two years ago and I had to take care of her afterwards...just a week or so.  She could not do any bending, cleaning, or even her favorite thing which is to tend to her garden because of the dust.  The surgery was successful but it took a couple of days before she was able to experience the results of the surgery.  I had to administer her eye drops several times a day which also prevented her from doing her normal routine.  Each case/patient responds differently but I would suggest having someone help you for a couple of day after the procedure.

Honored Contributor

Both times I didn't look that great immediately afterward and had a metal "cage" taped over my eye to prevent me putting my hand on it or rubbing it.  I was groggy and came home and went to sleep--and had to sleep with the eye guard for a few nights afterward.

No, I wasn't supposed to bend over for several days.  I also had to put drops in several times a day for quite some time--don't' remember how long. 

I can say that it wasn't just tra-la-la in and out and let's go to the mall. 

Respected Contributor

@CLEMCLEM  I had lazur eye surgery past febuary.I went out had lunch with big dark glasses on they gave me, came back they checked my eye, I came home . Ocourse they tell you not to rub your eye, and I wasnt to take a shower till the next day, so as not to get water in my eye. Now remember this was lazur, so I had no drops to fool with, it is different from what my neighbor had, which he came over and I put drops in his eye for about a week.I don't have an animal, but I see no reason you wouldn't be able to clean the litter box, unless you rub your eye while your doing it.  The whole precedure is fast , no pain, and a piece of cake. I went back the next week for the other eye.They will tell you what to do or not do, don't worry about this. Been there done that., 

Honored Contributor

@CLEM  Excellent question since I have two cats and I have litter box duty 24/7. DH has allergies.