Respected Contributor

Has anyone used bamboo extract for their hair improvement?  I have been reading reviews and they are mostly top rated.  Also good for many other things.  Very tempted to try but am currently using biotin and not sure if mixing would be overkill.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bamboo extract

[ Edited ]

I've been taking bamboo extract (powder form) for a little over a year two years!  I started taking it because after many years of waiting for the biotin to work on my hair, I decided to stop and look for something else. That's when I ran across many good articles about the bamboo powder. Not only is it good for hair growth and beauty, it may help re-build and maintain bone density. Silica is the main ingredient found in the bamboo extract powder and this substance makes up a large portion of our collagen molecules all over the body. Together with a healthy diet, including the right amounts of vitamin D and calcium,  bamboo silica may help with hair growth, bones, skin and nails. 

I buy the loose powder form of bamboo silica extract...the brand called Bulksupplements from Amazon. This is a white, very fluffy, tasteless and nearly weightless powder which mixes easily into liquids. Upon mixing it into a liquid, it tends to settle a bit and has a very slight grittiness to it but not uncomfortable to swallow. I take a daily heaping 1/4 teaspoon mixed into my 'green' drink every morning. If you are interested look at item number  B01LVZW6Z7  on Amazon. Many sizes to choose from.

I've written many posts re this supplement on the Beauty forum. If you come here often then most likely you've heard about it from me.Woman Wink

NIH article re bone health and silica:

(rather lengthy, so go to 'Conclusion' at the bottom for those who don't want to read the whole article)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658806/

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I asked my wellness doctor about this yesterday but she was not familiar with it.  She did say silica is a good thing.  I was following the other thread on this topic and ordered some of the Bulksupplements from Amazon.  I guess I will stop taking the Lessman ones while I am trying the bamboo powder.  Don't want to get my body too confused...  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The main 'active' ingredient in a hair-growth supplement called Viviscal is silica (horsetail type, speculative). I found this interesting NIH article about Viviscal...a double-blind study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4689507/

Honored Contributor

SILICA in drinking water is linked top cognitive decline and early onset altzheimers. Do you want thicker hair that much? Google it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

SILICA in drinking water is linked top cognitive decline and early onset altzheimers. Do you want thicker hair that much? Google it.

Do you have proof of this? @151949

Seems the NIH disagrees with your statement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17435954

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Do you have proof of this? @151949

Seems the NIH disagrees with your statement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17435954

Typical google - 2 different articles with 2 separate opinions.

Nebver believe something just because it's on the computer.

Honored Contributor

Dot gov articles are publications...not just something found on google or hearsay.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl, I am using the bamboo extract based on @SilleeMee's recommendation.  I wrote about my experience over on the beauty board just last week.  I have been using it since mid-March, and when I got my hair cut last week, the first thing my sylist said was, "Wow!  Your hair has really grown!"  She rarely says anything much about my hair, so it was very noticeable to her...and I had just been there 5 weeks previously.  I am hoping that it will make my hair stronger and shiny.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee or anyone using this, do you get unwanted hair too with this one?  Chin & the likes, just curious.