Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever had this?  I do right now and it is so painful.  Went to the podiatrist and she made some adjustments to my orthodics because the pain was worst on the instep.  This helped, but the pain is now so great in my heels.  Will go back on Tuesday and see what else can be done.

I had this about 15 years ago and remember getting a cortisone shot which helped greatly.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

Has anyone ever had this?  I do right now and it is so painful.  Went to the podiatrist and she made some adjustments to my orthodics because the pain was worst on the instep.  This helped, but the pain is now so great in my heels.  Will go back on Tuesday and see what else can be done.

I had this about 15 years ago and remember getting a cortisone shot which helped greatly.

As a runner, I worry about this.  I know it is very painful and not a lot can be done about it in the past.  I am thinking good thoughts for you that improvements have been made on helping this.

Deb

Contributor

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

[ Edited ]

I had this about 4 years ago and it bothered me for about 2 years straight. Exercises/stretching helps (youtube had good videos) and also wearing Birkenstock shoes all the time at home and using inserts in shoes. I now have it off and on (knock on wood) and am wearing orhtoheels around the home. I think this helps alot. If you have flat feet, you need the arch support. Don't go barefoot or wear flat shoes with no arch support. Every time I do the pain feels like it comes back a bit.

Esteemed Contributor

You are going to get lots of replies to this thread. Suggestions/advice and stories. 

Yes, I've had it several times, once on both feet at the same time. I'll read some of the other posts, then come back later and add my bouts with PF.

hckynut(john

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I agree that you are going to get a lot of replies on this thread but for me ever since I started wearing/using Orthoheels/Vionics shoes/inserts I am pain free.

Respected Contributor

Podiatrist taped my foot to keep it slightly bent.  Later, the orthopedic surgeon recommended stretches, especially starting them when I wake up.  The stretching does help.

As for shoes, I live in Esprit clogs that have a great arch support.  It has taken about two years for the heel issue to heal.  Every so often, it flairs up but clears up again in a few days.

I hope you discover the best approach for you.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I've had that pain of PF a couple of times in my life.  I don't recall having injections but I make sure I have very good arch support.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses.

Yes, I have flat feet, but have been wearing orthodics for nearly 2 decades.  I have only been able to wear ambulator shoes for nearly as long.  These I wear all day every day until I go to bed.  No slippers for me.  I also do toe stretches every morning.

But I hope that when I see the foot doctor again on Tuesday, she will steer me in the right direction.

If I stay home too much longer I'll do more shopping on line and will declare bankruptcy.

Trusted Contributor

Seventeen years ago I had plantar fasciitis for a few days--shooting pain in my heel with each step. I was currently wearing Enzo loafers to work which offered absolutely no support to my feet. I tried Dr. Scholl's heel inserts but they didn't help. At the end of a work day, I visited a local shoe store that I knew podiatrists recommended to their patients. My feet were measured and when I explained the problem, I was immediately fitted with the SAS "Free Time" shoe. I stood up, took a few steps, and experienced NO PAIN! This was the first time in several days that I could walk without pain! Of course I purchased those shoes. Although I had intended to go home after visiting the shoe store, I went shopping at the mall instead. The SAS "Free Time" shoes completely eliminated my pain (which I have not experienced since) and required absolutely no breaking in. It was recommended that I wear the "Free Time" shoes exclusively for 5-6 months before wearing another SAS shoe, and I was so pleased with this experience that I followed that advice. I wholeheartedly recommend SAS shoes, especially the styles that I wear: "Freetime" (a lace-up walking shoe), "Trio" (a sandal), "Wink" (penny loafers), "Softie" (tassle loafers) and "Jewel" (a loafer). Currently, I own 14 pr. of SAS shoes in black, brown, navy and bone and wear them exclusively. They're great for a weekend at Disney, Universal, the beach, shopping and I'm confident that I won't experience foot pain when I wear them... and no, I don't have stock in the company Smiley Happy

It is important to wear a shoe that securely holds your foot such as a lace-up shoe.  As I mentioned above, the Enzo loafers that I had been wearing offered absolutely no support.

I hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

My daughter had it about a year ago and really suffered with it. We were in Belk's one day and they had an Orthoheel display.  I had her try on a couple of pairs of their shoes, and she felt they helped. I bought her a pair of thongs and a pair of "tennis" shoes.  

About a week later, she was completely out of pain and walking normally again. I have no understanding of the disease or the shoes, but we had some success and we were both grateful.  She wore the thongs again this summer - they held up very well, and although she says she has an occassional twinge, nothing really bad has come back again.  Worth a try.