Valued Contributor

Posting this hoping that someone else can get help with psoriasis.  Two years ago I developed psoriasis on both elbows.  At the time I was on an antibiotic for a few weeks.  When I went off it the psoriasis didn't go away.  I did see the doctor for it and got a tube of medication which worked well but it was hard to keep it on.  Winter came and I decided to take Vitamin C.  I got the gummies and noticed after a few weeks the psoriasis was gone.  I ran out of the gummies and since it was warm out I figured I didn't need the Vitamin C.  About 2 months later it came back.  I bought the Vitamin C again, by then it was pretty bad, and again it cleared up.  So for me I think the Vitamin C worked for it.  I'm still taking it and will from now on since it's much easier than putting cream on every day.  Obviously it helped my immune system.  I first bought the Kirkland brand and then tried the Vitafusion  Power C.  This may help someone else.

Trusted Contributor

Which brand do you prefer?

Trusted Contributor

As you probably already know psoriasis is an auto immune disease with no cure. The biggest cause is stress.  That being said I'm deffently going to try vitamin C and see if it will help.

Respected Contributor

How very thoughtful for you to share your experience.

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I have an AI disease, too...scleroderma. One of the vitamins which was recommended to me by my doctor is vitamin C. I buy it in it's purest form of powder and take two 1/2 teaspoons daily. I mix it in with my green drinks. Vitamin C also enhances the absorption of other nutrients in the gut so that's why I mix it with my greens powder drink. Vitamin C is highly underrated as a beneficial supp. 

"Role of Vitamin C in Skin Diseases"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6040229/

Honored Contributor

Vitaman C can't hurt but I don't see how it could help.  Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that comes and goes but there is no cure for it.   It's not one disease, there are several forms of it.  I know that vitamin D deficiency can be trigger along with stress, skin injuries, infections, even heavy alcohol consumption.  It's seasonal for some people.  

Honored Contributor

@kismet Be sure you check out the added C with your MD.  An overabundance of C can cause the gums to inflame, draw back and your teeth become loose.

Also ladies, too much vitamin a can be lethal.  Just thought I'd mention this.

Valued Contributor

I was under a lot of stress when this came about.  I was dealing with cdiff that wouldn't clear up.  It's been over a year taking Vit C and I just got my teeth cleaned this past Tuesday and everything was fine.  I like the Vitafusion Power C better, cost more than Kirkland but not much.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@kismet Be sure you check out the added C with your MD.  An overabundance of C can cause the gums to inflame, draw back and your teeth become loose.

Also ladies, too much vitamin a can be lethal.  Just thought I'd mention this.

I've never heard that before.

Vitamin C is not lethal in any amounts. If you take too much it can cause an upset stomach and/or diarrhea, but it won't kill you.

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I was under a lot of stress when this came about.  I was dealing with cdiff that wouldn't clear up.  It's been over a year taking Vit C and I just got my teeth cleaned this past Tuesday and everything was fine.  I like the Vitafusion Power C better, cost more than Kirkland but not much.

Thank you for sharing your tip. The Cdif infection or an infection you had prior to the C dif probably triggered your immune response and psoriasis flare. Psoriasis often appears suddenly after an infection. For example, one particular infection, strep, is closely associated with the onset of guttate psoriasis. Infections impact on Vitamin C levels*in the body so your long term infection could have lowered the level of Vitamin C you had. Vitamin C does help the body when there’s been an infection so it’s not unreasonable that the C helped. 

*https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5707683/

What doseage do you take?