Esteemed Contributor

Be careful with Prolia! Once you get that shot, there's no going back with side effects. And the side effects are plentiful. It certainly isn't like a pill that you can stop taking when you get side effects. Once you stop taking the shot, any progress made goes bye-bye. I invested in a naturopathic physician, who with supplements, dietary changes, and exercise helped me to increase my density. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 

That certainly is a main concern.  

If I could track down a naturopathic physician in my area that I could trust, I would consider going.

Finding the right person is very difficult.

I'm glad you found something that works.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Effie54 

That certainly is a main concern.  

If I could track down a naturopathic physician in my area that I could trust, I would consider going.

Finding the right person is very difficult.

I'm glad you found something that works.

Yes, agreed. It is hard finding the right natural path. I had to go to three before I decided on a good fit for myself. Some naturopaths are strong in some areas of medicine, such as gut health, while others have a broad range of knowledge. Good luck, and I wish you good health.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman  I am sorry you are having issues with finding the right treatment for your osteoporosis.  I am glad that you started this thread with your question.  I am benefitting from your question and the responses. 

I am on hold with my every 6 month infusion of Zometa (Bisphosphonate) because of a dental issue which resulted in an extraction. My maxillofacial surgeon, who is also an M.D. wasn't too happy to hear that I was taking Zometa infusions. He asked me to discuss an alternative med with my oncologist which I did. She suggested Fosamax. I  had taken Fosamax many years previously and stopped it due to possible health concerns presented by the media. The plan is to discuss and make a decision regarding treatment for bone health at my next appointment in May.  

I do hope I don't experience what @granddi  experienced when her doctor ... threw up her hands and said, "whatever!"  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@rockygems123 

I buy Bulksupplements brand silicon dioxide powder from Amazon. That's 100% pure silica and I take 1/4-teaspoon daily by adding it to my green drink. 

Bulksupplements.com Silicon Dioxide Powder - 500 Grams

@SilleeMee.  Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat 

Oh, my...that is so unfortunate.

I had read about possible "jaw bone" issues with some of the medications.  I've put off making a decision for now and feel fine doing so.  Nothing like a little procrastination Cat LOL

My husband is taking Fosimax and seems to have no reaction.  However, I took it and had terrible joint pain.  

I'm going to have an honest discussion (or try to anyway) with my GP in June and go from there.

The doctor prescribing the Prolia is my endocronologist.  She's treating my thyroid issues which are minimal, but I don't feel comfortable with her other than that.

Here's hoping we find the right mix of meds and doctors Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Another way to make choices is to look at the odds.  Many of us know our cancer relapses by heart.  But the are are also fracture odds.

The Endo should have done this for you.  If not, take the scores from the last couple of scans and see what direction they are going.  There are online frax calculators to look at chances of fracture.

Hip at 10% in 10 years and cancer at 80% in ten years?  

My hip is over 60% in ten years and I don't like it.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman I think this is the shot my SIL has gotten. She has had terrible pain since getting it. Hip pain, muscle/bone pains mainly. She wishes she'd never gotten it. I would encourage you to check out the side effects & complaints on this drug. 

And my SIL told me today that because she had her thyroid removed you should consult your Dr before getting this shot. Her thyroid Dr. was the one that prescribed the shot, I believe. I saw another post where you said you had thyroid issues. I'd be careful! 

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   I would not take the Prolia.  Yes, a naturopathic doctor can be helpful (if you can locate a good one and most do not accept insurance).  I don't recommend protocols as each of us is different both physically and our perspectives can differ on medicines/medical interventions.  I will share that over the decades when faced with health challenges I fast and incorporate many other natural interventions thst I've researched and implemented.  Our bodies seek homeostasis when given the opportunity.  There is a lot of science behind my actions. You might find it interesting to do some research on how others have cured themselves naturally when faced with life threatening/debilitating disease. You are in charge of your health.

I respect your willingness to question the use of Prolia, you might find alternatives for healing.  You have received a lot of information and support from the posters here.  Only you can determine what is best for your body.  I'm wishing you the very best of health in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tribesters 

Yes, this is my biggest concern as I had that reaction with Fosimax.  However, I could just stop taking that and in a couple of weeks, I was fine.

Once that shot is done, if there is trouble, I'm not sure how long it would take to pass.

And, yes, it is my endocrinologist who prescribed the drug, so she is well-aware of the thyroid issues I have since she is treating me for that.

Most of these drugs have side-affects, so I'm not anxious to jump in on anything since I seem to get them all!