Valued Contributor

I have a grade one cystocele. I am having recurring UTI's. My gyn thinks I need to see a urologist. My primary care Dr. has only treated the infection. If I need surgery I don't know how I'm going to do it. I am terrified of hospitals! To top it of both of my 96 year old parents are failing fast. I do have some things to get in order before I have surgery. Has anyone had bladder surgery & how long before you recooperated? I am an only child, but thank God my daughter moved back home with her family 2 years ago.

Super Contributor

My Aunt had this and had surgery with horible comopications. My mother had the same thing and is doing exercises and  taking something called D-Mannose  that is natural that she says has helped her. My Mothers doctor said the surgery is difficult and told her she is better off to try and manage it. It can get aggravated for my mother is she is on her feet for long hours at a time but she sees her sister living in total regret for having the surgery and is trying to avoid it. 

Floral Pillow
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prolapsed bladder

[ Edited ]

@DAD 

I can understand your concerns.  Several years back I had a complete hysterectomy, and, a few months after that, I had a procedure to help with stress incontinence.  I was trying to see what exactly it was called, but cannot find the term. 

In both cases, the surgery was a same day procedure with very fast recovery.  I was up and around that evening!

More than the surgery, it was the anesthesia that bothered me.  I got queasy despite their using a patch on my prior to the procedures.

Surgery of this sort has come a long way.  Talk to a doctor and try not to worry needlessly.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman  great advice.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might want to search for a uro-gynecologist.  

One might be hard to find in some areas of the country, but worth looking..

Very handy to have one doctor overseeing dual  areas that are often related one way or another when problems arise.

Valued Contributor

In the meantime you have to learn how to do kegal exercizes to strenghten your pelvic floor.Take 1000 mg of pumkin seed oil twice a day to help you with infections and bladder control . Avoid caffiene as that makes it worse.

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My MIL had a bladder sling put in....2 times actually.  First one lasted 14yrs...she had zero problems with it....then it just broke one day....she said she could feel it happen at the time.  Had a second one put in...and again it lasted until she passed away from cancer...zero problems with it ever.

The only issues she had were when the 1st one broke...her insurance wouldn't approve a new one for some reason and she had to fight them for almost 1yr before it finally got approved!!  During that time she had non stop bladder infections....UTI's.  She would call me so upset talking about how she could actually see part of her bladder protruding from her body!  And they still were fighting to deny her the procedure.

She also had a hysterectomy 1st prior to the 1st bladder sling.  Since her's went so well I would say look into this...no amount of kegels will put your bladder back into it's proper place.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DAD wrote:

I have a grade one cystocele. I am having recurring UTI's. My gyn thinks I need to see a urologist. My primary care Dr. has only treated the infection. If I need surgery I don't know how I'm going to do it. I am terrified of hospitals! To top it of both of my 96 year old parents are failing fast. I do have some things to get in order before I have surgery. Has anyone had bladder surgery & how long before you recooperated? I am an only child, but thank God my daughter moved back home with her family 2 years ago.

Go see a a gynecologist or urologist. Besides kegel exercises, surgery and medications there is another solution. A pessary, a device similar to a diaphragm, can be inserted, to hold the bladder in place. 

Honored Contributor

@DAD 

Know you are dealing with a lot, I’ve been thinking about you.

Have not had this surgery, but wanted to say as a only surviving child with no children and my Dad is 92, it does get rough.  Please do not wait too long. Of course you Always feel that you need to be there, but putting it off may end up being worse, and taking longer to get better.  

Take care, and best wishes.🌹

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

My good friend had the surgery next day she came home did very well with no complications.