Honored Contributor

I think my iPad is hurting my hands. Anyone else?

[ Edited ]

I bought a new, 10.5” IPad Pro last year. Then I bought an Otter Defender case to protect this. Prior to this purchase I used my iPad mini 2 for four years. Since using the bigger, heavier iPad I’m noticing problems with my hands. I definitely have a trigger finger. My hands ache. I’m afraid of developing a wrist or hand disorder from over use. I do use a pillow type stand, a Flippy, I bought for it, sometimes. I also rest the iPad on a pillow, sometimes. Most of the time I hold it. One poster said she thought her hand disorder, DeQuervains Tendinosis,   came from using her iPad. Anyone else here have some input?

Trusted Contributor

Re: I think my iPad is hurting my hands. Anyone else?

I'm glad you brought this up.  I've have a smaller version of this and I've notice that sometimes my little fingers ache or my left hand aches. I was thinking of getting a larger one. You made me think that might not be a good idea now.

Super Contributor

@Mindy D, I have a 9.7” iPad and I noticed that my hands do hurt when holding for a long time. One thing that I’ve done is attached a holder on the back of my case. Actually, I’ve attached 2 Love Handles, 1 XL and 1 the smaller one for the phone. You can get them on QVC, HSN, Amazon, and B&M stores. They really do help relieve the tension in your hand while holding your iPad or any tablet, ereader, or phone. On my iPad, I attached the larger one for when I’m holding it vertically and the phone size for when I hold it horizontally. It really does help, feels more secure when holding it. They attach to a lot of cases and hold very well. You can take them off, not always easily but very doable, just have to use dental floss. Takes time. The other thing that can help is if you can find something to put your iPad in that has thick sides, that also helps but very hard to find. Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Mindy D 

I don't own anything with an "i" or an "a".  Not willing to spend that kind of money when I don't see the value. I have, and do however, use 10.1" android tablets. No stands, just an ez-hold on them. 

Don't spend hours on end using them and if I felt anything resembling an overuse joint/tendon issue, I would find a way around it. If I couldn't find my own improvisation I would go back to using my computer.

I have enough arthritis is 3 of my fingers on both hands. These are a result of lifting 60-80 reels of telephone wire sticking only these fingers in a hole in the reel, and then lifting them above my shoulder height, for over 30 years.

Some of my co-workers developed Carpal Tunnel,  and most had surgery for this. I watched how they lifted these same reels of wire and made sure I did it differently. They had flexion in their wrist when lifting, I kept my wrists straight, and used only my biceps/triceps and deltoid muscles to lift them. Never had that problem.

If your job requires it? Best see if you can find a work around, or start using a lighter weight device.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
Spoiler
image.jpg

This is the back of my iPad. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D     yes. I had a thread here about having tendon issues on the side of my wrist up to my thumb on my left hand.  It has been painful for over a week now and I have a brace on to help me keep it from bending while it hopefully heals.

I know it is most likely from holding my i Pad in my left hand between the thumb and finger when laying down.   I also have bad wrists... and arthritis in my wrists so I am more likely to have pain.  

Having to stay more conscious of how I lift things and not holding the ipad as before... 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

I found “ Pillow Pad “ at BB&B last week.  It has 3 different areas for hold different size devices.  Comfortably holds my iPad at a great viewing height.  My iPad is in a holder case and can stand on its own but I found this triangular pillow to be better.  It is extremely lightweight, has a removable zippered cover and is about $19 before coupon is applied.

F0C52407-40FE-472B-A1AE-B0069A9E58C5.jpegHTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I have the Pro case I think it’s called. Where the cover folds and it can stand with me just using my thumb so it won’t tip or I have it in my lap while I sit. Works for me, never had any finger problems and I have been using one since they first came out. Wouldn’t be without my IPad. Haven’t used a desktop in years.

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz : Hey, thanks for that. I know they sell that here but glad to know BB&B has it so I can go take a look. 

I suppose it doesn’t fold when not in use?

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Mindy D 

I found “ Pillow Pad “ at BB&B last week.  It has 3 different areas for hold different size devices.  Comfortably holds my iPad at a great viewing height.  My iPad is in a holder case and can stand on its own but I found this triangular pillow to be better.  It is extremely lightweight, has a removable zippered cover and is about $19 before coupon is applied.

F0C52407-40FE-472B-A1AE-B0069A9E58C5.jpegHTH

Hi Jlkz, I have a Flippy. It looks exactly like this. I wind up trying to hold the iPad on it so the iPad doesn’t fall off and smack me in the face.