Esteemed Contributor

@software, it’s scary how quickly things can crop up isn’t it?  I had a similar experience with pneumonia.  The kidney issue too!  So glad you are on the mend!  LM

Honored Contributor

I keep up on all of my inoculations, ie. flu, pneumonia, shingles. Not planning on getting sick when a simple shot can prevent it. As we age be sure to get your vaccines!!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Aspiration pneumonia is not the same as the community type going around.  Therefore the pneumonia vaccine does not cover it.  Just a heads up for those who many not know.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Aspiration pneumonia is not the same as the community type going around.  Therefore the pneumonia vaccine does not cover it.  Just a heads up for those who many not know.

Hi @jubilant,

Just to add that there are differences within Aspiration Pneumonia dependent somewhat on the cause. As 1 poster here mentioned, hers was on food. Some cases are caused by throwing up(V). Mine was water and the larger the volume the more serious the issue, along with what caused the Aspiration. I mentioned in another post, in this thread, what caused mine, and made it a life/death situation.

Thank you for adding this post.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@ID2Husband and I both had flu and pneumonia shots in October.  We both see our pcp's on a regular basis.  He spent most of December in the hospital with double pneumonia.  He's in his 80's and I'm in my 60's.  I've been to my doctor 3 times with an upper respiratory issue since early December.  His pneumonia and my issues came on very rapidly.  He's recovering slowly and has needed iron infusions.  I saw my cardiologist today for my extreme exhaustion.  Whatever strains of illness seem to be immune against the inoculations, though I believe my husband would have died w/o his shots.  A healthy 43 year old near us just died from complications of the flu.  Last February husband had influenzaB 2 times, back to back and I also had it.  We try to stay out of restaurants and any places with a lot of people during the winter months, but the past 2 winters have not been kind.  My sweet SIL who is the healthiest person I know, has been sick with this upper respiratory issue for 6 weeks.  I wish I knew what we could do to avoid these illnesses.

Esteemed Contributor

I was at the doctors last week and it was my time to get a shot for it. Every 10 years to be given.

Honored Contributor

Pneumonia is so terrible, particularly for older people. Smiley Sad