Honored Contributor

Grants Help With Rx/Medical Costs

[ Edited ]

I use Prolia for osteoporosis.

I have Medicare Part A & B, no D, I use our secondary private insurance from DH's job (now retired) for my drug coverage.

I recently ordered Prolia and found that my co-pay had increased from $95 to $145, ouch!

When checking with the drug manufacturer for their assistance program for Prolia, I did not qualify because of Medicare part B.

I was given a name & # for grant assistance and contacted them to inquire. They do have a website, but there were so many links for the different programs, I decided to just call.

I was approved for a grant for $1,000 a year (for 1/7/19-1/6/20) after which time I have to re-apply for next year.

The grant I was given was through the Post Menopausal Osteoporosis Fund, but as I said they have a ton of funds, some even helping with medical co-pays.

The only requirement they had was that our annual income had to be $67,640 or less for our family of 2.

It was all done by phone and I was approved in maybe 15 minutes, although they will verify our income.

I was thrilled, as my $145 co-pay will be paid 100%!

I was also given the name & # for another assistance program, but didn't need to call them, since I was approved through the first.

Thought I would share, in case any of these funds can help others!

Healthwell Foundation.org

1-800-675-8416 (M-F 9-5)

The other that I did not need to call:

PAN Foundation.org

1-866-316-7263

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Grants Help With Rx/Medical Costs

@KingstonsMom, I am so happy for you. The fact that you shared this and someone else may benefit speaks to your generosity. Thanks for sharing....

Honored Contributor

Score @KingstonsMom!  Congratulations!!

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Each injection is $1600. I begin mine in March for my fractured back. Two of the fractures are healing; the third remains shattered. Sounds like I will be on Prolia for the rest of my life. I have been approved for the first injection, which will be paid by Medicare.

Unfortunately, my income has increased due to the stock market in 2018. When I file my taxes, that will change my eligibility. I'll either be paying for the two shots per year or seeking help.

An additional tax is my inheritance from mom's estate which I also received in 2018. That will also show up on my 2018 income taxes. And, yes, I've earned a lot of interest and dividends on that money as well.

It's going to be an expensive year with Uncle Sam and this back. Thanks for the information. Don't know if I'll be able to quality, but it's nice to know there is help available. Hope Prolia works for you!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

I've already done Prolia for 3 years and my subsequent DEX scan showed a lot of improvement!

My Dr. wanted me to take a year break, then resume the Prolia, which I'm now doing.

Good luck with yours too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society helped my late DH when he was diagnosed.   It's good to know there is help out there for these devastating & expensive treatments.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  You are an angel.  The drug manufacturers all say that they have programs that can assist some customers with expenses but I don't think many people take advantage of those programs and grants.  They don't bother to go to the websites, the way you did.   I think people just assume that things like that are only for low income people.   I have a friend who benefited from such a grant when her insurance company would not cover a drug that cost a couple of thousand dollars for a 30 day supply.  It had been newly FDA approved but her insurer would not cover it due to the cost and fact that there are other antibiotics available.  Despite the fact that those other antibiotics were not working for her.

New Contributor

Thank you so much to the original poster for this information! I am newly on Medicare, and the manufacturer's rebate for Prolia no longer applied.  I was facing paying $1,500 per shot every 6 months.  I had never heard of these grants, but used the info provided and received a grant! I was sure that my income level would be too high to qualify but I was wrong.  I would like to mention that the first foundation is not called Heartwell but HealthWell Foundation - for those that want to check it out.

Again - you saved me a lot of money!!!  Thank you!!!!

Honored Contributor

@DoodMom 

Thank you so much for providing the correct name of the foundation, I truly appreciate it for others and apologize for making a mistake on the name!

I received my grant documentation and was reimbursed for my $145 co-pay for my Prolia that I received last month!

My future Prolia injections are now with a $0 co-pay.

I'm really glad that you were able to benefit from this program also!