Honored Contributor

First day home from the hospital.

I had what I thought was a  nagging cold with cough off & on for a couple of weeks.

Finally decided to see my internal medicine doctor.

When I got there I was shocked- the waiting room was literally packed full of sick elderly patients, like myself.   I've never seen more than 3 or so in the waiting room at a time.  All had either pneumonia or the flu.

Doctor was admitting  patients left & right.   

I was sent across the hall for an x-ray, when it came back, he called me in to tell me I have  pneumonia.   He was debating on admitting me but I asked if he would let me go home and come back the next day.   He agreed.

I'm walking back to my car in the parking lot & I get a phone call to come back, labs are in,  I'm in renal failure.   I have one kidney.

So I was admitted.    The kidney has to be treated first with IV antibiotics.

The kidney got better fairly quickly with the meds so it was determined to be OK, just inflamed due to the infection.

I've never taken the pneumonia vax, not sure why.   I did have pneumonia about 8 years ago and I don't remember being this sick.    What a difference 8 years make.

Esteemed Contributor

@software  Glad you are back home and recouperating from such a nasty illness. You were so fortunate to have gone to your PCP when you did! Have heard the flu and pneumonia is prevalent all over the US . . . and the hospitals are full. Be careful, continue with a lot of rest and hope you are feeling 100% better soon! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@software  Glad your feeling a little better.  I had a stomach bug on New Years eve  and was very ill vomiting for hours.  I also started having a nagging cough and general fatigue.  I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia.  The MD told me I probably ingested food in my lung when I was sick.  This pneumonia is kicking my butt, and I'm slow to bounce back.  Finally off the antibiotics and have a little more energy.  I guess at age 64 it's harder to get my groove back.  Hope you keep feeling better daily.  I guess the saying, "Growing old isn't for sissies" is so true .

Respected Contributor

Flu and pneumonia - can be deadly - don't take chances - go to your Dr. immediately.  Several years ago I had the flu.  No big deal I thought as I frequently thru the years had the flu and said it's just a virus and will soon go away, and it did.  Until it didn't one year; turned into Pneumonia and I didn't know and the pneumonia turned into septic pneumonia.  Ended up a week in ICU that I don't even remember except in wierd images.  Dr. said only 3 in 10 people survive what I had.  Better believe I now get my flu and pneumonia shots.

A friend of mine died last year from the same thing - she was only 63.

Honored Contributor

@softwaregood news you are on the mend...scary to think what might have happened if you went home instead of into the hospital.I think you are one very tough lady to be walking around when you are so sick.

Honored Contributor

@software   I am glad you are okay.  Thank goodness you were in the hospital.  I had pneumonia twice.  The first time I was hosptialized and very weak (I also thought I had a cold).  It took over a month to get better once I was home.  I had the pneumonia shot and so far so good.  Take good care.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@software  Wow, angels were watching over you.  I am glad you're on the mend.  

You are fortunate that you went to the doctor and he was on the ball.

Take care of yourself and get some rest.

Honored Contributor

@software

I am glad to hear you were called back and were admitted to get the help you needed. Did not know you had only 1 kidney, which presents it's own issues. Happy to hear you are doing better.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hayseed00

I have had pneumonia 3 times, with the last being Aspiration Pneumonia. Mine came about while having my 1st heart attack. Was on July 5th 2003, when I had been mowing our acreage for over 3+ hours in 100° temperature.

As an athlete and working over 30 years in a 100° factory, on the cooler days, thus I always drank/drink lots of water. That day I am sure I had drank over a gallon of water. The Heart Attack, shocking my body, started the aspiration of that water into my lungs.

What probably saved my life was my lung capacity being large, mostly because of my physical conditioning. This weakened my heart, thus necessitating a Balloon Pump put into a Major Artery, to help keep my heart beating.

The Aspiration Pneumonia brought me closer to death than the Heart Attack. I spent 8 days in ICU and 8 more days on the hospital Heart Floor. With out-patient and at home nebulizer and Spirometer treatments, it took me close to 18 months to remove the fluid from my lungs. Was never on any antibiotics, IV or oral.

I was too was 64 at that time. Started my fitness routine slowly after I got home. Within 2 weeks I was doing very well. Getting back to 100% took another couple months, but I got there, for awhile anyways.

Hope you continue to improve with each passing day.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynutthank you, glad you are doing well.  Thanks again for the good info.