Respected Contributor

Just found out from a set of x-rays to my entire spine that I have this in my cervical spine. I have arthritis in neck/thoracic and some in lumbar area. I am waiting for my doc to call me about these results (I was able to read them online in my patient portal) and I am assuming a bone density scan will be ordered and some other tests based on what I read.

I have been surfing around online some and was wondering is there a specific workout program that you ladies know of that will help bone density? I found this site called save our bones http://saveourbones.com/program/ looks interesting and there is a program for sale @27 but I am not sure and was wondering if anyone is fimilair with it?

Maybe there are programs in the area that are geared for bone health? This is something I will ask my doctor about.

Anything you ladies are doing or could suggest is appreciated.

Honored Contributor

weights! Use weights-limit excessive protein and limit sodas. also eat lots of dark green leafy veggies and take calcium and vitamin d. Do weight-bearing exercises. You must have a T score between 1.1 and 2.5 to be considered osteopenic.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 winamac1 said:

weights! Use weights-limit excessive protein and limit sodas. also eat lots of dark green leafy veggies and take calcium and vitamin d. Do weight-bearing exercises. You must have a T score between 1.1 and 2.5 to be considered osteopenic.

Very good advice. I have had osteopenia for the last 12 years, it stays pretty stable.

Respected Contributor

Thanks Win....I don't drink any pop but need to increase leafy green veggies! I'll go back to making green drinks this is the easiest way for me to eat spinach.

I do take vit d....1000iu's my d level was low at 27 so I just increased to 2000iu's tonight. I do not take any calicum....have to look into this.

Shellbelle...how/what have you done to keep it from going to osteoprosis?

Working out correctly with weights is next on my list...that's why I looked at the online place with easy to follow directions....I basically need a routine to follow that's simple.

Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 tsavorite said:

Thanks Win....I don't drink any pop but need to increase leafy green veggies! I'll go back to making green drinks this is the easiest way for me to eat spinach.

I do take vit d....1000iu's my d level was low at 27 so I just increased to 2000iu's tonight. I do not take any calicum....have to look into this.

Shellbelle...how/what have you done to keep it from going to osteoprosis?

Working out correctly with weights is next on my list...that's why I looked at the online place with easy to follow directions....I basically need a routine to follow that's simple.

I take 1200 mg calcium daily, in 2 different 600 mg doses, and 3000 IU Vit D3 daily. Also Vit K1 and K2 and magnesium. I was just recently tested again, and it has remained fairly stable all these years. I have also had 3 very bad falls in last 2 years, and no real issues from them. I am 62.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for sharing! I have heard breaking up the calicum 2times per day is best and also about k2 before. Yrs back I was taking a supplement by NOW that had d3+k2. I will need to go back on these supplements. Hopefully it will help my neck from getting worse.

Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 tsavorite said:

Thank you for sharing! I have heard breaking up the calicum 2times per day is best and also about k2 before. Yrs back I was taking a supplement by NOW that had d3+k2. I will need to go back on these supplements. Hopefully it will help my neck from getting worse.

The Now Foods Vit D3 and K2 is part of my daily arsenal!!! I also take Puritans Pride Bone Care, it contains calcium, magnesium and K1 and D3. The magnesium helps to combat the constipating effects of calcium, very helpful to me. The Vit. K helps to keep the calcium directed away from the heart.

Respected Contributor

I will look into that Puritans Pride Bone Care.....that one has a nice combo.

Respected Contributor

What about stronium (sp?) I remember this mentioned in bone health somewhere today while reading.

Honored Contributor
I wear a weighted vest while I'm doing my housework. My diagnosis was a surprise during my last physical, and I wasn't one bit happy to get it. My GYN's office also recommended 20 minutes of walking (jumping-bouncing-jogging etc.), added calcium etc. My spine diagnosis was OK; the osteopenia was in my hips. Yuck!