Trusted Contributor

Anyone have experience with Orthovisc injections in knees for osteoarthritis?

Honored Contributor

I have had both knees replaced.   Prior to my first surgery, I tried every option available; prescription NSAIDS, an arthritis medication, and Synvisc injections.   

The NSAIDS were taken for so long they stopped working, the arthritis medication was tough on my stomach lining from day one, so it didn’t last long, and the Synvisc did not work for me because it was not tried early enough.   

I absolutely believe these injections MUST be started as soon as you get the osteoarthritis diagnosis, in order to cushion and protect the joint for as long as possible.   Once the knee becomes stiff and painful, and you have any degree of bone on bone, joint replacement is the only real fix.   

Super Contributor

I had Supartz injections in both knees almost two years ago now. I had a series of five shots five weeks in a row. You can have them every six months. They worked beautifully for me and I have not as yet needed another round.

Honored Contributor

@Apple Crisp wrote:

I had Supartz injections in both knees almost two years ago now. I had a series of five shots five weeks in a row. You can have them every six months. They worked beautifully for me and I have not as yet needed another round.

@Apple Crisp   It sounds SO paintful!  To get the injections!  I am a certified chicken. . . 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I didn’t have those Injections but I did have knee injections with a steroid which worked for about 6 months at the beginning and after about 18 months stopped working. I checked into the injections you are looking at and my insurance would pay after I met my deductible. I researched the injections and they can be iffy. I decided to get my knee replacement instead because I felt it would be a better solution.

Respected Contributor

Re: Orthovisc injections?

[ Edited ]

@CJC wrote:

Anyone have experience with Orthovisc injections in knees for osteoarthritis?

I started out with Orthovisc (Supartz) and now using Synvisc..just had both knees injected Friday and scheduled for the next 2 Fridays...I usually get a series of three and they last for months. I have my ortho freeze the site with topical anesthetic ethyl chloride before injecting and this minimizes the pain and helps with pain management. If you have someone that knows how to give the injections properly you should only feel the pressure of the medication.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Apple Crisp wrote:

@Apple Crisp   It sounds SO paintful!  To get the injections!  I am a certified chicken. . 

@Sooner   They deaden the area before giving the injection.  You really don't feel much.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I learned something, again. Had not heard of these injections; or at least, I have not heard the word Orthovisc. Sounds painful. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Haven’t had ortho.  I’m scheduled to have my fourth Synvisc One injection next Friday.  So far, they last me about a year each time.  Strangely, injecting the right side knee hurts but the left side injection, hardly at all.  That spray he uses is probably a placebo.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

These injections are something that I'm going to look into. 

Sometimes I have terrible knee pain but other times it's not so bad.  I've been taking over the counter anti inflammatory supplements such as Cosamin DS, Curamin & MSM (and occasionally some aspirin) the combination of all seem to help quite a bit so far.