Super Contributor

Implanted Medical Device Industry

I kid you not ..... This is terrifying, what gets through the FDA  and to market!!

I put this in Wellness Forum because that is the subject matter.

DH and I watched this documentary earlier about the implanted medical device industry. If you're a skeptic, or not... if you have an implanted medical device of any sort... or not, this is a must see! I guarantee it will curl your hair and probably make you cry, especially if you are female.  I'm still upset. 

"The Bleeding Edge". I think it's netflix.

Doc Unmasks Medical-Industry Greed. Concepts like the 510 (k) Premarket Notification and the Premarket Approval process (PMA) are thoroughly demystified in simple descriptions that allow the general viewer to grasp the magnitude of this state-sponsored nightmare.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Implanted Medical Device Industry

I have fake neck bones, all of them are fake and held together with screws. Does that count. I would rather be dead than live with the pain I had before I got the fake neck.

Esteemed Contributor

I have something I recorded from HBO - called "Bleed Out".... My son told me to watch it.  I haven't yet.  It's about a woman who needed a hip replacement that went terribly wrong....  (It was recorded on 12/20/18.....)  I did fracture my femur and needed 3 screws implanted a couple of years ago.  It was just an overnight stay and didn't even need pain meds.

I am not a wimp when it comes to medical stuff, having two sons who are doctors - but for some reason,  I was afraid that some day I might need this procedure and the same thing would happen to me.  Just from the little I heard about it, made me put off watching it for awhile.

Could this be the same program or am I mixing them up?  TIA

Super Contributor

Hi @sophiamarie ... I googled, they are 2 different documentaries. The Bleeding Edge was released on netflx July 2018.

@SilleeMee... I'm so happy to know your surgery was a complete sucess and you're no longer in pain. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Tabbycat   Yes, it is on Netflix.  We have seen this documentary but I caution people who have had success with their implants to not panic. 

It's an eye-opener and certainly important for patients past, present, and future.

However, and this is a big however, patients who have been harmed do not represent those who have had success.  I think we need to look at what was used in this documentary, what resulted, and compare to success rates.

Informed is well-armed, I agree, though.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

Hi @Cakers3 .... Yes, I completely agree what you pointed out. Your very important statement ... informed is well-armed. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen it but am glad documentaries like this are being made. I read that the Essure device is no longer being made by Bayer. It cost them over 400 million dollars in law suits last year alone.

Honored Contributor

It seems people need to use some common sense too

Why would you choose something like Essure when a simple, safe snip snip gives the same results?    Is it all about insurance companies?

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I haven't seen it but am glad documentaries like this are being made. I read that the Essure device is no longer being made by Bayer. It cost them over 400 million dollars in law suits last year alone.

@colliemom4   The FDA dropped the ball too.  Since physicians were not required to report pain and other side effects, many women fell through the cracks.

It is my feeling that once the FDA started to receive complaints, a halt should have been put on Bayer; instead it wasn't until last year that Bayer announced they would not be manufacturing Essure anymore.

Honored Contributor

I want to clarify my earlier post-I was speaking about implants in general, and not specifically about Essure.