Honored Contributor

Re: National RX Take Back Day

[ Edited ]

All the locations in my area are pharmacies, churches, and YMCAs, but the program is managed by the DEA  and local drug education groups.  They're also providing free document shredding services at some of the locations.   Their strict policy on the books has always been that it's done anonymously, with no follow-up and no questions asked.    I've never heard of any repercussions, but that's just my experience.    It's a good program for those who want to participate (many do across the country).   Thanks for spreading the word for everyone, @lolakimono!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

The only RX I have are pain pills.  I save them. Stocked up pretty good with my joint replacement surgeries.  I do not care if they go out of date .. or are a bit less potent. I store them carefully to keep them as fresh as possible.

I like to have them on hand since they are so hard to get ahold of anymore. My husband strained his back a few weeks ago and was able to sleep though the  night thanks to my stash until his back got better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The only RX I have are pain pills.  I save them. Stocked up pretty good with my joint replacement surgeries.  I do not care if they go out of date .. or are a bit less potent. I store them carefully to keep them as fresh as possible.

I like to have them on hand since they are so hard to get ahold of anymore. My husband strained his back a few weeks ago and was able to sleep though the  night thanks to my stash until his back got better. 

@SeaMaiden  When I first read your post, I thought you wrote "I was able to sleep through the night thanks to my stash until his back got better."  LOL

BTW I do the same thing with RX's.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure that most people realize that if the expiration date on a bottle is April 15th, that the pills don't totally decompose on April 16th.  Of course, medications break down and lose effectiveness over time so you should watch the dates if you stash them.

Funny discovery ...........    last month I was emptying the last few boxes from my recent move, and came across some muscle relaxants with an expiration date of June, 2000!   Yes, seventeen years old!    I was afraid to even open the bottle and smell them!  Ugh!   Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that most people realize that if the expiration date on a bottle is April 15th, that the pills don't totally decompose on April 16th.  Of course, medications break down and lose effectiveness over time so you should watch the dates if you stash them.

Funny discovery ...........    last month I was emptying the last few boxes from my recent move, and came across some muscle relaxants with an expiration date of June, 2000!   Yes, seventeen years old!    I was afraid to even open the bottle and smell them!  Ugh!   Woman Surprised

@Tinkrbl44 That's too funny. There was a study a few years ago and most pills 10 years old were still as effective as day 1. They just want us to buy more. 

Honored Contributor

I dropped off a zip lock bag with a handful of very old prescriptions in it. I don't normally take prescription drugs and none of these were ones I'm likely to need again. It was quick & easy. I was glad to safely be rid of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granny me wrote:

I don't understand why people turn in medications. There was period that both my husband and I had lost our jobs at the same time, thankfully I had medications I had put back by splitting pills or taking every other day that got me through until I had insurance again. To this day I think about it and I find myself still splitting pills or using every other day out of fear of some day not having meds.

I don't need anyone to lecture me on the facts that medications get old, it's not good to do it, blah, blah, blah. It worked for me and I was greatful I had the foresight to do it. I am not suggesting anyone do this but I would never turn itn medications.

@granny me- when my father died last July, I had probably 25 bottles of pills of his that we didn't need anymore.  Our local government center has a prescription dropoff all the time so I removed the labels from the bottles and took them in.  I removed all the labels from the bottles.  Dropoff bin.  Opened the door, threw them in.  In and out in less than 20 seconds.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?