Honored Contributor

No automatic alt text available.

Respected Contributor

Re: National RX Take Back Day

I need to do that but I'd be embarrassed by the arsenal of meds I have that I couldn't take. Lol. Maybe a little at a time. 

Respected Contributor

Every place I see listed, for several ZIP codes I tried, is law enforcement - police, sherrifs, a DA's office, etc. I thought this was being done through pharmacies. Odd.

Valued Contributor

I don't understand why people turn in medications. There was period that both my husband and I had lost our jobs at the same time, thankfully I had medications I had put back by splitting pills or taking every other day that got me through until I had insurance again. To this day I think about it and I find myself still splitting pills or using every other day out of fear of some day not having meds.

I don't need anyone to lecture me on the facts that medications get old, it's not good to do it, blah, blah, blah. It worked for me and I was greatful I had the foresight to do it. I am not suggesting anyone do this but I would never turn itn medications.

Honored Contributor

It says Drug Enforcement Agency right on the flyer.

@noodleann wrote:

Every place I see listed, for several ZIP codes I tried, is law enforcement - police, sherrifs, a DA's office, etc. I thought this was being done through pharmacies. Odd.

Honored Contributor

I have a shoebox full of meds.

Sometimes I'm given a scrip and later find out it's not working for me so I stop taking them.

I'm not going to hoard meds that have no purpose for me.  

Every so often I cull through and bring them to my pharmacist to dispose of.    It's not good to flush down the toilet or put in the trash.

You won't get a lecture from me either way, it's none of my business what people do in their own home, just wanted you to know why I have some meds I no longer take and what I do with mine.

Like you, I won't be going to Take Back Day

@granny me wrote:

I don't understand why people turn in medications. There was period that both my husband and I had lost our jobs at the same time, thankfully I had medications I had put back by splitting pills or taking every other day that got me through until I had insurance again. To this day I think about it and I find myself still splitting pills or using every other day out of fear of some day not having meds.

I don't need anyone to lecture me on the facts that medications get old, it's not good to do it, blah, blah, blah. It worked for me and I was greatful I had the foresight to do it. I am not suggesting anyone do this but I would never turn itn medications.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@noodleann  I would assume that they are worried that criminals would show up to rob people of their RX meds knowing they are all concentrated at one place. Good idea to have law enforcement around. 

Respected Contributor

@granny me wrote:

@granny me  This is what's happened with me. I don't want to throw away meds I've paid for so I hoard them just in case for some reason later I can take it. That never happens, then I have all these meds, lol. 

Honored Contributor

I remember years ago that it was okay to just flush down the toilet.   Times have changed.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

It says Drug Enforcement Agency right on the flyer.

@noodleann wrote:

The DEA is not your local sheriff or PD. I assumed this would be through pharmacies. Just struck me as odd. I don't think a lot of people are going to want to traipse into their local constabulary clutching a bag of painkillers. In these surveilled times, I sure wouldn't.