Regular Contributor

Anyone have a bad reaction to amoxicillin? Have been off for a few days per Dr. but still feeling the nauseous. How long did it last for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amoxicillin

[ Edited ]

YesI get yeast infections from those darn Z packs.  Smiley Sad 

Respected Contributor

I believe a true allergy would cause hives, rash, itching. It's probably just not the antibiotic for you. Some cause us more naseau than others 

Super Contributor

Because Antibiotics kill good bacteria as well as bad ... when

I take it I do find I am sick to my stomach and my food does

not seem to digest as well ....

Super Contributor

Yes ... a true allergy would cause hives.. as I have that with

Penicillon ....there would be no doublt in your mind if you

broke out like I do !!!

Respected Contributor

I took it off and on for years then around 1994 I got a rash and was told never to take it again. Antibiotics can have effects on your gastric system. I would ask the pharmacist if you should take it with food. I believe that you are supposed to but can't remember. 

Respected Contributor

You have to be alert when using antibiotics, especially the newer ones. I broke out in a rash years ago when I was prescribed an antibiotic called telithromycin. Not sure if it is even used now, but it is on my do not give to me list.

Respected Contributor

Make sure you take probiotics or eat yogurt with it - or you'll have a bigger problem - yeast infection!  I'm on Bactrin right now and am downing my probiotics and having a yogurt before I go to bed.  Feel better! 

Respected Contributor

You should of been eating yogurt with active cultures between your doses.

or been taking probiotics.   They are a killer on your stomach if you don't do something inbetween doses to counter it.

Your pharmacist is a great wealth of information, sometimes even better than your own doctor.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Yes ... a true allergy would cause hives.. as I have that with

Penicillon ....there would be no doublt in your mind if you

broke out like I do !!!

Yes! I found out, years ago, when I was in college. Got a case of strep throat and I blew up with swelling, hives, rash from the Ampicillin I was given!! Not fun. I haven't had penicillin for the past 50 years! 

"Pure Michigan"