Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:
There's a commercial running for Cologuard on my local TV. My doctor says its not 100 percent but better than nothing.

True, but it would not have found the one I had in the colon walls.  Polyps often bleed and can be detected.

Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:
"My doctor says its not 100 percent but better than nothing." 

@Reever,

"Nothing" is a zero sum!

@  It could be .00001% effective, worth about the same as the False Negative results it often shows. A sheet showing this might make you think "all is well", when in reality, it is not!

Do whatever you think is best for you. The only other thing I can add to what I already have said is "I wish you well".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

@Catty2 Most likely the only thing you will remember is counting backwards while you go inti a twilight, which for me knocked me out completely.

See this is what scares me.  Everyone including the doc talks about this twilight sleep which was explained to me as being aware but not feeling anything.  Then I talk to people who go to sleep and wake up what seems like five minutes later saying they had no idea what happened.  So is this an either or situation?  Some people fall asleep completely and some don't?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

Also has anyone heard about the tiny camera you can swallow?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Don't know where they use "twilight sleep" but I was out..completely out and woke up in the same place they did the prep (not clean out) paper work for the procedure.   Remember nothing! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2  Haven't seen a follow-up post.  Are you OK?  Surely do hope so!

Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@Catty2 Most likely the only thing you will remember is counting backwards while you go inti a twilight, which for me knocked me out completely.

See this is what scares me.  Everyone including the doc talks about this twilight sleep which was explained to me as being aware but not feeling anything.  Then I talk to people who go to sleep and wake up what seems like five minutes later saying they had no idea what happened.  So is this an either or situation?  Some people fall asleep completely and some don't?

@Deree  During my first, I woke up and was put out again, the second, this year, didn't wake up until it was over.  

Valued Contributor

@Deree wrote:

There are different anesthetics that they use. Some knock you out completely, so don't. Talk to your doctor or the GI clinic about which one they plan to use. 

Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@

@Deree,

Everyone is different, and the same applies to most Anesthesia. Tell your Gastro Doctor you want Propofol, as most doctors and surgeons use this now. I've talked with my nephew, who is an Anesthesiologist, and he said he has NEVER had a patient under Propofol wake up during any procedure.

I had 2 Colonoscopies with ZERO Anesthesia, and while uncomfortable, it was far from painful. Pretty much reminded me of bad Gas Pains. Driving a vehicle on public roadways is more "scary" to me.

Everyone has their spin on their Colonoscopy. My opinion? I think many of them are a bunch of BS. Why? Beats the he!! out of me. Guess they like making others think the worst. Me? 15 Colonoscopies and counting.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Also has anyone heard about the tiny camera you can swallow?

@Deree

Yes I have heard of it, and swallowed it back in June of 2008. They were trying to find where my Colon was bleeding. It showed over 3,000 pictures, none of which found where I was bleeding. This was after 3 Colonoscopies, each 2 days apart.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)