Respected Contributor

I am having my first colonoscopy on Monday.  Since I've had gastro issues for months and many other tests, this is the one test left to do.  I have a problem with anxiety anyway and am already a nervous wreck about this.  I've read all the instructions about the prep and what to expect, etc.  My brother has had 2 of these done and he did fine, but he doesn't have anxiety like I do.  I know there are meds you have to stop taking 5 days before the procedure, like Advil.  I called the dr's office this afternoon and asked if it's OK for me to take xanax to help with this anxiety.  The woman I talked to said she will send my question back to someone and they will call me about it.  If anyone can help ease my mind about all this I would really appreciate it.  I see there have been quite a few colonoscopy posts on this forum.  Thank you.       

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2, as it is your first procedure, it is normal to have some apprehension.  It is a very good thing to do to ensure your health.  Colon cancer is very treatable as it is slow growing so regular testing is important.

My advice is for you to let them know you are apprehensive.    If you are at all uncomfortable during the procedure, tell them.  They can adjust the medication.

Honestly, the last procedure I had, I didn't remember most of it.

Wishing you the best.  For me, the prep is worse than the procedure itself.  LM

Honored Contributor

You will be just fine, I have had 2 and am a Xanax user, you wont need the Xanax, trust me!! I took pills for my prep, very easy, nothing terrible to drink.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom

I had an endoscope done in July and was totally out and they said I would be for this procedure too.  Yes, I've had other people say the prep is worse than the test.  Thank you for the information. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2@Shelbelle, I hope they have the pills next time I need the procedure.  That drink is not fun!  LM

Honored Contributor

I was very stressed by what I read about the prep and procedure.  When I finally had it, I was like that's it.  Two years later I had to have another one.  I was calm as a cucumber.  Eat lite starting tomorrow. Get your prep food ready on Saturday.  I didn't do that and had to wait for my jello to set.  LOL.  Get lemon Italian ice to eat on prep day.  You will be fine. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle

I have the liquid to take for the prep which I will start on Sunday night, then again on Monday morning.  I meant taking xanax now to get me through this anxiety about the test.  Thanks for the info. 

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

@Shelbelle

I have the liquid to take for the prep which I will start on Sunday night, then again on Monday morning.  I meant taking xanax now to get me through this anxiety about the test.  Thanks for the info. 

I would assume you can have the Xanax till about 24 hours prior to the test. You dont want it to interfere with what they put in the IV to knock you out. I took pills for my prep in 2005 and again in 2016, I am a terrible gagger and cant drink anything that tastes terrible. You will be fine!!

Trusted Contributor

@Catty2 Most likely the only thing you will remember is counting backwards while you go inti a twilight, which for me knocked me out completely.

Respected Contributor

I have had at least 3 because of several problems.  The doctor doing the procedure should have given you a package of information with complete instructions on what meds to stop, when to start the clear liquid diet, and when and how to take the "colon-prep" liquid.  I received this package each time I had a Colonoscopy. 

Call your doctor tomorrow and discuss all of this with him. This forum ain't the place,