Respected Contributor

@Catty2  I have had 3 of them.  Drinking the prep stuff is the worst of it.  The actual procedure was no problem at all.  I do understand your worry because I get anxious too. I have my first endoscopy next week and am really worried about that.  I am just trying not to let myself think about it too much.  

Trusted Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I am having my first colonoscopy on Monday.  Since I've had gastro issues for months and many other tests, this is the one test left to do.  I have a problem with anxiety anyway and am already a nervous wreck about this.  I've read all the instructions about the prep and what to expect, etc.  My brother has had 2 of these done and he did fine, but he doesn't have anxiety like I do.  I know there are meds you have to stop taking 5 days before the procedure, like Advil.  I called the dr's office this afternoon and asked if it's OK for me to take xanax to help with this anxiety.  The woman I talked to said she will send my question back to someone and they will call me about it.  If anyone can help ease my mind about all this I would really appreciate it.  I see there have been quite a few colonoscopy posts on this forum.  Thank you.       

Are you anxious that they will find an issue or anxious about the actual prep? 

The procedure is NOTHING.  The prep isn't the most glamorous of days you'll have but you will survive and be just fine.

I've had 5 colonoscopies in 4 years.  They found a cancerous polyp and removed it - Considering the alternative which would be metastatic adenocarcenoma- Possibly moving to my liver...chemo...I'll take the prep any day.

This would be an opportune time for you to try to meditate.  If you have amazon prime you can find meditations online.  Try to clear your mind, relax, think of your breathing and focus on relaxation from the top of your head out to your toes.  You will be FINE!

Honored Contributor

@Catty2,

Please just look at this test as something you HAVE to do; like a mammogram, a pelvic exam, an eye exam, renewing your drivers license, etc., it just has to be done, period.   

I lost my dad 14 years ago to a common staph infection following his 2nd colon cancer surgery.   Dad’s first surgery was right before he turned 54 years old.   

With my colon cancer risk, I am diligent with my screenings.   My doctor was also my dad’s doctor, so with 3 normal screenings behind me, he lets me decide when I’m ready for another, which has been every 4-5 years.    

Stay positive and just do what you have to do.

Honored Contributor

Hey @Catty2

Check out this link to a Colon Thread https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Wish-me-luck/td-p/4933846

It is in this forum titled "Wish me luck". There are a lot of things you might find out by reading that thread.

Now I have had 15 of them, plus a procedure called a Double Balloon Enteroscopy. Same prep/same entry point on the body/longer scope and it takes hours to look at the colon in High Definition. Have had 5 of those.

Everyone is a little anxious about any procedure they have no experience with personally, you are just being normal.

Read that thread, no need for me to go into my "sermon" about the importance of having a Colonoscopy.

My best to you with this procedure,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
I am scheduling my second one soon....I had no polyps so it's been five years since my first one....they told me to take 1/2 a xanax when I got up ( has to be at the hospital at 7 a.m.) and to take the other half of it as soon as I got there if I felt I needed it. I had to drink the pink stuff for my prep. I was so calm and relaxed from the Xanax that the procedure was a breeze. No pain whatsoever, if that is a concern for you. Let your dr know you are anxious and he will let you know what to take.
Honored Contributor

I am having my second colonoscopy in a few weeks....it is true that the prep is the only rough part. I was also anxious and the dr gave me a script for two pills....xanax. He said take 1/2 a pill. Everything was just fine. Filling out the paperwork took longer than the procedure itself! I am sure you will be fine, but it's just not a fun thing to prep for. I kept the other pill for the next colonoscopy so I am all set.

Honored Contributor

I wish there was something I could tell you to ease your anxiety.

I'm the same way

I was diagnosed with Crohns, any time I am out of my routine it sends me into a tizzy.

And the anxiety makes my Crohns symptoms worse, which adds to the anxiety & it's just a vicious circle that gets worse & worse.

The procedure itself is easy, I've had about 6.

You'll get into a gown, they will start an IV, drift off to sleep and in about the blink of an eye, you will be awake again, feeling rested, procedure over.   Don't make any plans for the rest of the day.   Just relax.  Trust me.

Hope everything works out OK for you.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000

I did receive all that information from my doctor when the procedure was scheduled.  I was using this forum to get some feedback from people who have gone through this and to try to lessen my anxiety.  Thanks for your info. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@Catty2 wrote:

@Shelbelle

I have the liquid to take for the prep which I will start on Sunday night, then again on Monday morning.  I meant taking xanax now to get me through this anxiety about the test.  Thanks for the info. 

@Catty2  This is what worked for me.  I had a glass of ice water, and a plate of lemon slices next to the prep liquid and glass.  I made sure the prep was cold, and I drank it through a straw as then you won't taste it much, sucked a lemon slice immediately, then drank some water.  I was able to get the liqud down pretty quickly with this method, and I then drank much more water than the minimum.

Have vaseline and baby wipes to prevent irritation.  I ate lemon jello and chicken broth for several days, and drank water.  Don't eat or drink anything red or purple, but you probably know this from your other exam.

Regular Contributor

Just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy 3 weeks ago. They gave me a prep called "clenpiq." The taste was dreadful, but it did clean me out.  I did this in two preps. One at 5 pm, and the second at 9 pm. Expect to be on the toilet until early morning. You really do sleep during the procedures. Before you know it, you're awake. The doctor will stop by to let you know the basics. If you have polyps, they remove them and also do biopsies on them. I had no pain from either procedure. My throat felt a little funny because I'm assuming they stuck a tube down it. I know it's easy to say, but try to relax this weekend, and eat on the lighter side, until the day before where you just do clear liquids. I would also recommend taking a nap, the morning/early afternoon before you begin the prep. I was exhausted by the time I went to the endoscopy center, because I was up most of the night and early morning before the procedure. You will be fine. I actually went on a short grocery shopping errand with my husband later that afternoon. (Although they do tell you to rest Smiley Happy) You shouldn't drive your car until the next day.