Regular Contributor

I have received an Auto CPAP machine and mask that is a nasal pillow with hose attached at crown of head. I have been using my machine for a week now and feel I am suffocating when connected. As habit of sleeping with my lips parted and breathing through mouth, it seems I must train myself to keep mouth closed while connected to machine if I am to be successful with nasal pillow mask.  I may need to switch to mask that covers nose and mouth. I have contacted supplier of mask/machine but am seeking personal knowledge of this issue and ideas for success. While I understand it takes time to become accustomed to using CPAP, I am eager to utilize the machine to its fullest. 

Honored Contributor

A full face mask might be the way to go. However, I think you'll adjust to sleeping with your mouth closed. It is a weird sensation at first.

Super Contributor

I have the same problem with sleeping with mouth open and the only solution was to use the full face mask.  Even if I was able to keep my mouth closed once I went to sleep it came open.  I use full face mask with no problem. 

Super Contributor

Hillery, when I first started using my CPAP, after the first or second night, I contacted the doctor's office to have the air flow turned down (it had been set a maximum).  After that, I was able to use it without any problems.  Trying different masks may also help your situation. 

Trusted Contributor

@Hilery wrote:

I have received an Auto CPAP machine and mask that is a nasal pillow with hose attached at crown of head. I have been using my machine for a week now and feel I am suffocating when connected. As habit of sleeping with my lips parted and breathing through mouth, it seems I must train myself to keep mouth closed while connected to machine if I am to be successful with nasal pillow mask.  I may need to switch to mask that covers nose and mouth. I have contacted supplier of mask/machine but am seeking personal knowledge of this issue and ideas for success. While I understand it takes time to become accustomed to using CPAP, I am eager to utilize the machine to its fullest. 

I'm responding to your post because my husband uses a CPAP and I would find myself helping him during the night because I would find him sleeping without his mask on, or sleeping with his mouth open.

He was also using a nasal pillow mask for more comfort, but found that he was either taking it off in his sleep, or it was coming off in his sleep.

I would hear him snoring, so that's how I also knew that it was not on his face.

He switched to a mask that fits over the nose and mouth now, and finds that he no longer has a problem with the mask shifting off of his face or falling off of his face at night.

Respected Contributor

I've been using a cpap for 6 years.  

I, too, am a mouth breather.  A full mask is the answer.  It takes a couple of nights to get used to it but you will.  You can try a chin strap that goes over the top of your head and under your chin in order to keep your mouth closed.  But I think that's even more uncomfortable.  I use the Resmed Airfit F10.

Regular Contributor

@Carolm  I found a you tube video with instructions of how to reduce air flow and I did make an adjustment since it was weekend and could not wait for doctors office to act on my request. 

Regular Contributor

@Toppers3  Thank you for confirming what I feel is my end result, a mask that covers mouth and nose.

Respected Contributor

When I received my new cpap machine, I was fit with a mask that didn't work.  I think basically, it was the latest and greatest model by the manufacturer .............I trusted the tech rather than my own instincts. 

Respected Contributor

I have never been able to use those nasal pillows.  I prefer a mask that covers just my nose and I prefer a small one.  Usually described as "pette mask" when searching.  I've been using a Paykel and Fisher petite mask for years and it has worked well for me.