Honored Contributor

I have been reading many articles and books about food lately.  After reading how milk is produced, I have sworn off all milk and milk products.  During the process, they have to cook the milk at very high heats in order to kill all the bacteria and pus that forms during the milking process.  They also milk pregnant cows.  Those poor animals are used as nothing but machines.  That is enough for me.  Dairy is not good for us anyway.

Since my gastroparesis diet is almost all milk-derived, I have no idea what to eat now.  I am eating less and less and losing weight at a pound to half a pound a day. 

My daughter brought home almond milk and I will be using that from now on.

All because of horrific dairy farm practices.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

My big problem with milk is the inhumane way it is produced. The cows are bred to much and their calves taken away for veal. Milk is not the perfect food for humans. It is the perfect food for baby cows.Its health benefits are highly overrated by the dairy industry and the cows are usually given antibiotics and hormones that end up in the milk. If you are over the age of 2 you have no need to drink milk from any mammals breast.    

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I have been reading many articles and books about food lately.  After reading how milk is produced, I have sworn off all milk and milk products.  During the process, they have to cook the milk at very high heats in order to kill all the bacteria and pus that forms during the milking process.  They also milk pregnant cows.  Those poor animals are used as nothing but machines.  That is enough for me.  Dairy is not good for us anyway.

Since my gastroparesis diet is almost all milk-derived, I have no idea what to eat now.  I am eating less and less and losing weight at a pound to half a pound a day. 

so true and I bet a lot of vegetarians don't know how cheese is made. I have stopped too.

I tried almond milk with cereal and I can't taste it that much which is a good thing. Because it and soy and coconut plain I just don't like.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

so true and I bet a lot of vegetarians don't know how cheese is made. I have stopped too.

I tried almond milk with cereal and I can't taste it that much which is a good thing. Because it and soy and coconut plain I just don't like.

And I have a half a pound of provolone in the fridge which I now have to throw away.

I also don't mind the taste of almond milk, and it is almost undetectable in homemade foods made with it.  However, no ice cream anymore, no yogurt, no cottage cheeses, actually hundreds of foods are made with milk.  I can make puddings with almond milk, I haven't tried anything else yet. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I grew up on milk products as a child. Lots of milk. No problems with it then, or as an adult. I now  choose to drink almond and flax  milk unsweetened instead of regular milk  as it is lower in carbs and natural occuring sugars which milk it high in.

I  choose to eat greek yogurt ---- one I buy only has three grams of natual occuring sugar per serving.. and it is high in protein  If I want some non fat cheese or cottage cheese, I have no problems eating that.  I am not against eating dairy at all, but like to cut back on the natural sugars it provides and  the saturated fats when it is not non fat.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

And I have a half a pound of provolone in the fridge which I now have to throw away.

I also don't mind the taste of almond milk, and it is almost undetectable in homemade foods made with it.  However, no ice cream anymore, no yogurt, no cottage cheeses, actually hundreds of foods are made with milk.  I can make puddings with almond milk, I haven't tried anything else yet. 

Okay, this is the little devil on your left shoulder speaking.  If you like a bit of ice cream now and then, SO Delicious brand is made from coconut milk.  It's dairy free and soy free.  Non-GMO certified label, too.

I agree about the poor cows.  And I'm well aware of rennet in 'most' cheeses (bleck).

I can't get into store bought almond milk, (or coconut) and wasn't happy with what I made in my vitamix. 

But I LOVE the cashew milk I make, a handful of raw cashews and some filtered water and I have milk I can handle. 

Sometimes I'll make extra and put it in a lidded glass dish, add a half cup of rolled oats, some frozen fruit, chia seeds, maybe some chopped pecans, stir it up and let it sit overnight.  I HATE oatmeal, but cold uncooked oatmeal, I can handle.

ETA:  So Delicious is NOT organic, but Non GMO certified.

Also, I can't really detect a coconut taste in the chocolate, but maybe a bit in the vanilla.  I don't mind coconut, but some people do.  Haven't tried any of the other flavors, but there's lots!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm

I know, I'm sorry about the cheeseSmiley Sad

Thanks for the cashew milk and ice cream suggestion! I'll try thatSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Lucky Charm

I know, I'm sorry about the cheeseSmiley Sad

Thanks for the cashew milk and ice cream suggestion! I'll try thatSmiley Happy

I edited my post about the ice cream, it's not organic, but Non GMO certified.  Just wanted to let you know in case you see my edit.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I've had a glass of milk in almost 3 decades ... I'm not an infant.  

We're the only mammal that drinks another mammal's milk, and do it into adulthood.   The ADA has certainly done a good job of programming people into thinking they should drink milk ....  I'll give them that.

Respected Contributor

I had cystic hormonal acne for years and after reading about milk and the hormones being a factor in acne I stopped drinking milk and switched to Almond milk. I love it, no more acne issues.