Trusted Contributor

Hormone replacement therapy. What are your thoughts

Interesting documentary on PBS called "Hot Flash Havoc" (highly recommend!) is touting the benefits of HRT and how the results of that study from the early 2000's was nothing more than a scare.  The experts are now on board the HRT train and say that it is necessary to ward off heart disease, alzheimers, bone loss, sexual disfunctions, etc.  It was so convicing that I am seriously thinking about discussing this with my doctor later this month.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Honored Contributor

Re: Hormone replacement therapy. What are your thoughts

I don't take hormone replacement therapy but I didn't have a hard transition with menopause.  If I had, perhaps I might have.

I exercise so my bone density is good, I eat a low cholesterol, low fat diet with no sugars and no simple carbs and low complex carbs.  I had a stress test a year ago and everything heart wise looks good.  Blood Tests are good.... I don't know..... I just prefer as natural to nature transition as possible and the least amount of drugs as I can take...and have always believed in this...  but it's a totally personal choice and a lot of ladies need it.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Check with your doctors.  I would be concerned about the relationship with taking hormones and the affect they may have on breast cancer, if any at all.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer stage one (caught early I was very lucky) and I never took hormones of any kind except birthcontrol pills for only 2 years in my twenties.  I am very healthy, proper weight, eat healthy, don't smoke, and excercise and the only meds I take are for slightly elevated  cholesterol.  So doing all the right things doesn't prevent anyone from getting BC but we should do all we can to help not to!  Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I took it for years and then I let my then GYN talk me out of taking it.  I felt terrible.  My hair started falling out, I just felt terrible.

Then I went back to my old GYN and he started me back on it.  Everyone has to decide for themselves but I've been taking it again now for maybe 4 years and am glad I do.

Honored Contributor

I'm way past menopause now and did not take HRT, but did take herbal supplements to help with hot flashes. When I was going through menopause there was the cancer and stroke scare so my doctor didn't even offer it. I did know a woman though who was in her mid seventies and took HRT for like 30 years with no side effects. In fact she was visiting her 95 year old mother in the nursing home where I worked ,so I don't know if her youthfull look was the HRTor her DNA.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took it for years but the day they announced the possible cancer-causing effects, I quit it instantly.  I never had one Ill effect from quitting it which leads me to believe I didn't need it at all, or was taking it beyond the point of effectiveness.

A couple of days after I took it upon myself to quit, my doctor called and told me to discontinue its use.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was was fortunate to just wiz through early menopause. By age 47 I was post menopausal. I am 60 now.  I got hot a few times....that is it other than no periods- YEA!

I took black cohosh and evening primrose oil...also used topical progestrone cream. A good diet and exercise is important. If you are healthy going into menopause you will have an easier time. Most American women are not fit or healthy...thus they are miserable.

if I had of needed help I would have only used bioidentical hormones. Susan Somer's wrote a very good book about them. The other hormones that the quack regular doctors push can cause cancer  later.

Respected Contributor

I went through a miserable menopause (hot flashes, mood swings, depression) until I started on HRT.  It helped me SOOOOOOO much!Smiley Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Contributor

I agree that it is a personal choice to take hormone replacement therapy, or not. I did start on hormone replacement therapy, then the scare came. I was contacted by my doctor to come in to discusse it. I decided to go off of it, and was told I would slowly need to wean myself off of it.  I followed the direction of the doctor, and was finally off of it. I have to say, memopause was not as easy for me as for some. My biggest problem was night sweats.  Please talk with your doctor, read all you can about it, and then make your decision.

Respected Contributor

I used a hormone patch for years until I decided I should try to go off of it because of all the scary reports I heard about hormone therapy. I made it through 2 years without it and then due to extreme hot flashes, night sweats (and not sleeping), I went back on.