Honored Contributor
Sending prayers for your sister.

Some hospitals don’t allow flowers at all.

Sometimes it just not allowed on certain units. ICU, oncology, isolation etc. Flowers and live plants can have mold spores or other things can be hazardous to someone who is already very sick. She might be able to receive flowers later on another unit.
Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Update on my sister....BIL said a new infectious disease dr. came in this morning and said the lumbar puncture will happen this afternoon and only then will he know exactly which virus or bacteria is involved. They are giving her a lot of antibiotics just in case it is  not viral and will go with more specific antibiotics when they get the results back.  BIL did say she was lucid for a short time this morning so that was reassuring. Her fever is down but still fluctuating. Thank you so much for your continued prayers. Hoping to hear about a treatment plan and definite diagnosis today. Her diabetes is a problem since she is not eating. I wanted to send flowers or a plant but BIL said can't have them in her unit. Don't know why that is. 

@Trailrun23  My daughter is a Surgical Intensive care nurse.  When the condition is like your sister's, they don't want anything like that in a sterile environment.

Sending prayers for your sister!!  Hang in there!

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

Call the facility she is at.  See if you can talk to one of the nurses caring for her.  

Why?  They won't give her any information about her sister.  They prohibited by law from disclosing confidential information.  They'll transfer the call to her room, if can take calls.

Respected Contributor

I spoke to BIL a few hours ago. They have done all kinds of tests and so far have now ruled out meningitis, encephalitis, lyme disease, and toxoplasmosis. They still don't know what she has...her fever is now down and they are flooding saline to hopefully flush out whatever is in her system. He put me on speakerphone and I was thrilled. I said hello but there was a long pause before a "hi". She just doesn't seem to be able to retrieve words but is now following commands even though it takes awhile to process. 

She was ready to eat real food this morning and as soon as her tray arrived they took her for an MRI. I think she is better but BIL doesn't seem have more info. I think he is overwhelmed....She has always been the caretaker and now it is reversed. I am so appreciative of everyone's prayers and thoughts.

I hope they don't send her home before they find out what's wrong....even if she is improving. The dr told BIL they were baffled. They have a team of infectious disease and neurologists trying to figure it out.

Honored Contributor

I am very sorry.  Sending prayers.

Respected Contributor

Sending healing prayers for your sister.  And you.  

Respected Contributor

I am praying for your sister, too, @Trailrun23. Clearly, your sister has had some kind of event that has affected her brain. It is interesting that they have ruled out the most obvious potential causes. Did she recently eat anything out of the ordinary (like escargot or sushi or unwashed berries), or something else that might have been undercooked- like eggs, or salmon, or pork? Did she use any recalled eye drops? (I have watched way too many Mystery Diagnosis type shows in the past.)  

Wishing her an uneventful and quick as possible full recovery. If she is having trouble recalling words, it may take a while. 

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 

Am curious as to whether your sister had sepsis?

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Trailrun23 

Am curious as to whether your sister had sepsis?

Yes, I thought the same @RedTop . Diabetes leaves us prone to UTI's that can become systemic and lead to sepsis. I had it July of 2022. The doctors had a difficult time figuring out why.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for asking about sepsis. I have not heard BIL mention it before.

This has been a real rollercoaster this week. 
Update: the drs recommended she go to a short-term rehab facility. They sent her home late today instead. It is unbelievable. 

Her spinal fluid was clear. She had a small stroke about two months ago and had trouble with her balance afterwards but it had become much better. BIL said last week, before he called the ambulance, she had quit talking much and speech was slurred;  and was having trouble walking...and her eye and corner of her mouth was droopy; that sounds like another stroke to me but he says the drs never mentioned a stroke...just went straight to the neuro dr and meningitis, etc. clearly she had another stroke. Many tests and drs remain baffled. She is now on an antidepressant and an antibiotic as a precaution in case they missed something. Offical diagnosis: viral pneumonia. She is on a restricted diet and BIL has no idea what to give her to eat. Soft foods, cut in tiny pieces, and low sugar. Any suggestions? I am hopping on my broom and flying there on Sunday evening. Thank you so much for all your prayers. You may want to pray for the health care workers and charge nurses after I get a hold of them....