Honored Contributor

Re: Memory ... Sometimes I Worry Myself

@rms1954 

If you have other medical issues, then perhaps one or more of these issues is causing this problem.  I know others here have said this, but I will reiterate it.  Being under a lot of stress will cause you to be overloaded and you will not be able to focus the way you should.  I speak from my own personal experience because I constantly feel like my brain is overloaded!  I wil put something away and then totally forget where I put it!  I might go into a room and then once I get there, forget why I went!  I have at times worried that I might be getting dementia, etc.  I know people say being forgetful to a certain extent is just natural as we age.  Whether this is true, I don't really know.  Also, if a person is sleep deprived this can cause issues of feeling scattered or not being able to focus.  If you continue to have issues such as you have described and feel concerned, pleae contact your physician.  Then, you can see if there really is a reason for real concern, or if it's some of the things such as we here have listed.  I wish you the best and am sending blessings to you!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Why were you down at the dish drainer, when you were also busy at your printer?

If you are thinking about other things, then it is easy to be distracted. Have your mind totally on what you are doing. Put everything back in its place, so you know where you can retrieve it later.

But also, good daily nutrition can allow you to function on all cylinders. There is nutrition for brain function/good memory: essential fatty acids, among them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Or, keep in mind (if you can  Woman LOL ) stress is always a contributing factor.  

A  seminar presenter years ago said something that stuck .... basically it was:

"The amount of STRESS you have in your life is often in direct proportion to how many attention units in your brain are being used at any given moment .... " 

Interesting way to put it, IMO.   

Got a lot on your mind? 

@Tinkrbl44Attention units, LOL.  I need more of those!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  Its difficult because on 1 hand all of us no matter our age forget where we put things that and is nothing to worry about.  Forgetting where you put your document does not worry me.  Forgetting the correct entrance to a store is a concern. If you get lost that is dangerous for you.

Unfortunately for you since your father had Alzheimer's/Dementia you should see your PC or a neurologist.  If anything it gives you peace of mind but it also helps you plan earlier if it truley is that diagnosis.  If you have another family member who can also attend the appointment with you that would be extremely helpful. Likely if you have a son/daughter nearby they may notice and have concerns has well.

Dr Oz had a great segment 2 years ago about his mother's diagnosis and the things to be concerned about.

Super Contributor

Hi, @rms1954, I thought of you yesterday while reading a guest essay on memory & forgetting by Dr. Scott A. Small, director of the Alzheimer's Research Center at Columbia University.

The good doctor writes in light of new research of the brain's neurons, our everyday forgetting should no longer be seen as a malfunction of the brain's machinery, but can be seen as a healthy and adaptive part of the brain's functioning. He goes on to discuss how how memory & forgetting work together. I found the essay comforting & intriguing.

The name of the essay is, 'We will forget most of the pandemic. that's a good thing' and Dr. Smallhas also written a book, "Forgetting: The Benefis of Not Remembering", which I'm going to ask my library to order.

Honored Contributor

@cantdrive55 wrote:

Hi, @rms1954, I thought of you yesterday while reading a guest essay on memory & forgetting by Dr. Scott A. Small, director of the Alzheimer's Research Center at Columbia University.

The good doctor writes in light of new research of the brain's neurons, our everyday forgetting should no longer be seen as a malfunction of the brain's machinery, but can be seen as a healthy and adaptive part of the brain's functioning. He goes on to discuss how how memory & forgetting work together. I found the essay comforting & intriguing.

The name of the essay is, 'We will forget most of the pandemic. that's a good thing' and Dr. Smallhas also written a book, "Forgetting: The Benefis of Not Remembering", which I'm going to ask my library to order.

So kind to think of me.  Sounds interesting.  I will investigate further.  I appreciate your kindness. Heart

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 @You are more than welcome! I forgot to mention the essay was in the New York Times. I don't think aid be allowed to post a link, but hope you are able to read it.

@rms1954  I figured out how you can see it. You would go to newyorktimes.com, and on the home page, from the menu bar in the upper left corner, select opinions, then guest essays & scroll down to March 9, 2022. The picture that accompanies the article will make you smile.

Valued Contributor

What about statin drugs? Are you on statin drugs? Are you on gabapentin or similar? Many drugs affect memory. Please do talk to your doctor about this issue. And also try to be mindful in the moment. Tell yourself to do this one task and don't get side tracked. If you are printing documents, then don't walk to the kitchen, get the docs organized where you need to put them. 

I have the gene for 25% more risk of both heart disease and dementia. So I am mindful of this. 

Driving somewhere and getting lost as you describe is either your mind too much on your problems so you are thinking constantly (ruminating) and not being mindful on the moment. Stick to the moment. Only the moment. 

It is normal to not remember where you put down your glasses. I just did that. But I can follow a recipe, read a book and understand that, take my meds on time, know what meds I am taking and why and how they work, know what time it is, what day of the week it is, and have calendars to tell me the month days. If I have an appointment on Wednesday, I can remember that and get to that. I do use lists all the time. I put notes on sticky notes for the appointments I have that week. I put notes on my kitchen window and bathroom mirror for things like my weekly schedule, or special things going on or the one item I need at the store when I just need one item.