Super Contributor

@nana59 used to take it a few years ago...worked like a charm...woke up with no side effects!

Esteemed Contributor

thanks for all your replies....you always have helpful information....gonna give melatonin a try.....nighty nighty!!

Trusted Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

I take between 1-3 mg sublingual about a half hour before I go to sleep. Any higher dose gives me vivid disturbing dreams.

That's the problem I had with melatonin. Bad dreams. Maybe I was taking too much, it was a long time ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@daisyk wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I take between 1-3 mg sublingual about a half hour before I go to sleep. Any higher dose gives me vivid disturbing dreams.

That's the problem I had with melatonin. Bad dreams. Maybe I was taking too much, it was a long time ago.

Even at the lowest dose, I have the worst dreams.  I'd rather be awake!

Esteemed Contributor

I take it and honestly, my results are mixed. Sometimes it just works better for me than others. My daughter on the other hand can take a small dose of it and sleeps like a rock and is still tired the next day. 

Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

It does work but I can't handle the super vivid really intense dreams so I no longer take it.

This was me too.  I normally have pretty vivid dreams but with melatonin they turned into nightmares.  The help with falling asleep wasn't worth how awful my dreams were!  My husband uses it sometimes and he didn't have that problem, however, he also never remembers his dreams.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have tried it at various doses and have never had any good or bad effects. Just nothing for me.

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I have tried it at various doses and have never had any good or bad effects. Just nothing for me.

I cant believe many in here are taking 5-10 mg !  I take 0.50 mg ( I had read that smaller doses of melatonin are actually more beneficial.)

Everyones body is different - when I tried higher doses it actually KEPT ME AWAKE.  I get Trader Joes 0.50 mg they have a subtle peppermint taste and are chewable.

Valued Contributor

I buy the liquid in a bottle. I buy it at Whole Foods but they might sell it elsewhere. I like the liquid, it has an eye-dropper and you can take the full amount or take whatever you think you'll need. The liquid works fast. I take it before I brush teeth and get ready for bed. Then I fall asleep quickly.

Being a chronic insomniac, I've found that liquid works better for me. I have used Benedryl for years and also bought the liquid as I can control the dose.

I always use the smallest amount and if I'm still asleep after 1/2 hr, I get up and take a few more drops.

I took Ambien for over 20 yrs. I wanted to stop and thought my insomnia' would go away. Well, that didn't happen. I find the liquid melatonin works well and I don't get dreams. I think the dreams are because you are using too much.

Try the liquid.

Honored Contributor

I take it every night, about half an hour before bed.  It gets me deeper so I don't hear DH and Shadow snore, lol!!!Smiley Happy