Honored Contributor

Re: Mediterranean Diet need quick and easy recipes

@Group 5 minus 1 : Per the doctor- ginger ale needed due to nausea issues and cranberry juice needed for kidney issues but trying to make small changes toward better options. Trying to stay positive. We will be married 18 years  in April. I have helped DH to eat different foods that he previously refused to touch or try. He now eats some roasted vegetables. He now loves rutabagas. Trying to change life long bad habits. Southern Bee 

Trusted Contributor

It's one of the easiest ways to eat. 

About 80-90% of your food should be fruits and vegetables (raw, cooked, unlimited amounts), fish (wild), nuts, olive oil, whole grains, legumes. 

The other 10-20% can be dairy, desserts, bread, etc.  

Trusted Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 : Per the doctor- ginger ale needed due to nausea issues and cranberry juice needed for kidney issues but trying to make small changes toward better options. Trying to stay positive. We will be married 18 years  in April. I have helped DH to eat different foods that he previously refused to touch or try. He now eats some roasted vegetables. He now loves rutabagas. Trying to change life long bad habits. Southern Bee 

1 or 2 pieces of crystallized ginger (supermarket or health food stores carries it) works much better and faster. It's not a lot of sugar as the pieces are small and mostly ginger. 

Cranberry pills are much more efficient. CranRich is good. Ask your doctor. 

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain...I am also married to a devoted carnivore....he finally will eat vegetable soup if I add a tiny bit of ground beef...I used ground turkey to make tacos and that worked also...with the color and spiceiness of the taco seasoning he can’t tell it isn’t ground beef. I do make lots of big salads and add some chicken on top so it looks like it’s more. Just pull back on the amount of red meat and increase the veggies...along with more nuts and fish. Bake or roast...don’t fry.
Honored Contributor

ILTH: Thanks for that tip about the ginger. I am going to try it.

When I saw my doctor he said cranberry pils not juice. I guess we all are different.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

Always hear good things about the Mediterranean way of eating. Maybe one of these days I will try that.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

There is no need to eat "different" on a Mediterranean diet, just include lots of fresh produce, less red meat, fish, and olive oil.  You can incorporate more veggies/fruits and lots of salads.  I just googled the diet and lots of free recipes came up, but really not necessary.  Anytime you include more whole fresh produce in your diet, you are eating healthier.  It is very easy and nothing exotic.

@phoenixbrd 

Repost for emphasis.

💚