Honored Contributor

Re: Medical Alert Devices - Which one do you recommend?

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I have printed out your information/posts, gone online to get additional info on the various companies/devices suggested, and am going to give it all to this person when I visit them at the hospital tomorrow.

I guess the big decision will be what kind of help they want with the device.....just 911, or be able to contact other people with it, or have GPS capabilities, etc. 

You're the best! I really do appreciate the time you took to post your experiences or suggestions.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I was payiing ADT 29.00 a month, but it took  more than a Heart Attack or Stroke minute to come on.   After a couple of years with them, canceled and got the jitterbug phone with 5Star alert.   But it by accident and the people on the phone answering immediately.  

Our news station did a test on life alert systems and 10 failed, because they took to long for a response.  The 5 Star Jitterbug was recommended. It comes as a fliptop of smartphone.  Both take pictures and text and voicemail and camera, plus other features. Also has a GPS tracking.

Respected Contributor

Which ever one you decide on, if this person who will be using it has a pacemaker make sure it can be used.  Some are not compatible.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@World Traveler.  You might check the one HSN sells.  It automatically dials 911 even if you're outside away from home.  You don't go through an operator, you go direct to 911.  There is no monthly fee.

--------------

I  ordered this one a couple of years ago, but sent it back.  There is no GPS on it and I think that a GPS option has to be included on any alert system.  What if something happens and I cannot speak??  Also, it was quite heavy and clumsy....

Frequent Contributor

Question here  if I get a Life Alert  device how does the local EMT get in my house?

Trusted Contributor

@mary0129   It would be wise to get a lock box to place outside that contains a key to your home. Or hide a key in some other manner.