Trusted Contributor

I usually go to the fitness center after eating my morning meal. I have lost weight and this does work for me but I since I don't eat before 10:00 I was thinking of trying of trying to go before I eat. I only briskly walk for 45 minutes on the treadmill so it's not a heavy workout. Thoughts? Do you eat or not? 

Honored Contributor

Re: work out on empty stomach?

We eat first, and I have not had any problems..I think it helps my diagestion to move around after eating. It might not be the same for you. You will just have to try it and see

Esteemed Contributor

empty stomach

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a very early rise (usually around 5:00am) so more often than not I have a bowl of cereal before I work out.  Frequently I do a household chore the first hours of after waking, then I usually eat between 7:00am and 8:00am, and the exercise begins at 9:00am.  Over the years I have found my mental state operates better during the exercise if I'm not hungry.  On some days my routine goes until after 11:00am and with my early rising time, that would be too long for my body to go without any kind of nourishment.  

Respected Contributor

I do HIIT, kettlebell, TRX and some work in the water.  If I don't eat before I train, I won't make it thru whatever it is I'm doing.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

I do not go to the gym  until 2 p.m. so I eat breakfast at 10 a.m.    Do not like to go without eating something first...stomach starts to growl.

Trusted Contributor

I prefer and empty stomach. I can't eat early in the morning, which is really the only time I don't want to eat. Smiley LOL I get up early and run and then eat later. I did try to go for a run once after lunch and I hated it. Not sure if it was the time of day or the lunch to be honest. I think walking after eating wouldn't bother me so much.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the best...for me.

Honored Contributor

I workout very early (around 4:00 am).  I do the resistance first for an hour or so then have a few spoonfuls of natural peanutbutter and then  Zumba for 45 min and after walk with my dog for 45 minutes I eat breakfast.  If I ate first I wouldn't be that ambitious.

Respected Contributor

I hit my wall too early if I do not eat.  I just lose my strength and energy.

If I am not careful my blood sugar gets too low and I get very shaky and unsteady.