Trusted Contributor

Re: work out on empty stomach?

With yoga starting at 3:30 am and then walking the dog at 4:00 am, there is not enough time to eat before I start exercising.  I prefer to exercise on an empty stomach, anyway.  A full stomach makes me feel weighed down.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KCDiva 

Even when I was working and did my training after work, lunch was my last meal before my workouts. On race day, most are in the early morning, I never ate a solid food. Water and maybe some coffee, that's it.

Same with hockey, be it playing or being a Ref. At least 5 hours in between last solid food and the hard activity. I went by what the running Guru Dr. George Sheehan said:

" I've been at the finish line of thousands of races and have seen many puke, but I have never seen 1 runner die of starvation"!

My ice skating sessions, 2 hours 3 times a week! I may eat a banana several hours before my 2 hour skates, but have nothing but water until I get back home from the rink. Same with my 2+ hour, cardio/strength and flexibility workouts at home.

I like the feeling of being lighter, with an empty stomach and colon. Eating leaves me feeling just the opposite. I am talking decades, from the 1970's and still the same now and it just became 2020. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@KCDiva

I work out 3x a week. I usually eat, drink water and take my morning meds before going to the gym. I can't do cardio without something to eat. 

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the workout and your body.  Whatever works for you.  On the mornings when I do a long walk; I have cup of coffee and two boiled eggs.  It's like I need that protein and probably the caffeine too to maintain my stamina because I haven't eaten anything in 12 hours.  However, in the afternoons or early evenings, I have more stamina if I don't eat anything after lunch.  Walk first then have dinner.  Walking after a mean leaves me slow and sluggish.  

Honored Contributor

No .... I eat before I go to the gym or to physical therapy.   I need the carbs for energy.  (And usually grab a roll and butter at the deli on the way home!)

I don't have weight issue.

Respected Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I usually go to the fitness center after eating my morning meal. I have lost weight and this does work for me but I since I don't eat before 10:00 I was thinking of trying of trying to go before I eat. I only briskly walk for 45 minutes on the treadmill so it's not a heavy workout. Thoughts? Do you eat or not? 

It may be beneficial to your blood sugar level to keep doing what you're doing.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/920628

Esteemed Contributor

I usually have something light but I would be afraid of passing out if I worked out on a completely empty stomach.  I bring water with me too.