Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medical Alert Devices - Which one do you recommend?

[ Edited ]

I have little grand niece age 5. Her parents bought her a cellular watch . It has a GPS and she can call four numbers. Her mom can keep track of her using  a smart phone. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac Thanks for the information/link.

They are hoping that their regular insurance (Blue Cross) pays for it, but if not, they feel it is worth the cost due to the feeling of not being alone with no way to contact someone. Although, they certainly can't afford the $1500/year for one of the plans they looked at.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle Thanks! Senior Safety is one I had not heard of. I will check it out. Like that there are "no obligations."

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma Thank you! Someone else suggested Alert 1 to this person, who is 83 years old. They were going to get more information on it. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@meem120 The hospital gave a pamphlet from Philips Lifeline, which had some coupons (which expired 4/30/18!). ha! 

Anyway, I offered to go online with Philips Lifeline, and when I did, I could not get a price from their website WITHOUT giving my name and other personal information, and THEN they would contact you to answer my questions.

Don't want my name and phone number to be given, otherwise I will get calls and advertisements for probably the rest of my life! ha! Was trying to do a favor without my personal information attached to the request for info.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs Another name I have not come across. I will check out 5Star Response for them also. Like the no contract, under $20/mo. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg Like the idea of the GPS, although this person doesn't go out that much. I just think it would be nice to have for them. And the opportunity to call up to four numbers is nice.....911, relative, friend, neighbor, etc. Do you happen to know which watch it was, or will any smart watch do the trick?

Esteemed Contributor

I tried the one HSN sells. It would dial but not connect and it would tell me that itI just was not working.

I went with Mobile Help which has different combinations...landline plus cellular, cellular alolne, etc. I just got the cellular version with gps. It goes with me everywhere I go. It has both a lanyard and a wrist band but I wear the wrist band all the time. It also has a large help button to put in room of choice such as bathroom. It came with a free lockbox to put house key in so emergency personnel don't have to break in to get to you.

I have tested the Mobile Help system with a very fast response, faster than the five minutes listening to the HSN product trying to call.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Like the idea of the GPS, although this person doesn't go out that much. I just think it would be nice to have for them. And the opportunity to call up to four numbers is nice.....911, relative, friend, neighbor, etc. Do you happen to know which watch it was, or will any smart watch do the trick?

@World Traveler 

Verizon Wireless. I just checked the site. They are 250+ reviews. I would think other carriers would have a similar product. 

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat Oh, that is good to know. I will check out the HSN reviews to see if that is a common complaint with their product.

I like the idea of a lockbox. I was wondering how someone would get into this person's home without breaking down the door.

Thanks so much for the time you took to respond. Heart