Honored Contributor

So, please refresh my memory.  I'm 72 this year.  I remember I had every disease known to man (an exaggeration, but not much of one).

Am I remembering right that back then we just got the measles's, mumps, chicken pox, you name it and then we had immunity to each one?  Am I remembering correctly?

I even had Rheumatic Fever.  My brother and I almost died on that one.  It damaged my heart muscle.

I do remember that we had some kind of shot that formed a scab that kept us from getting something.

I'm going to go searching to find the answer to my questions......

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

So, please refresh my memory.  I'm 72 this year.  I remember I had every disease known to man (an exaggeration, but not much of one).

Am I remembering right that back then we just got the measles's, mumps, chicken pox, you name it and then we had immunity to each one?  Am I remembering correctly?

I even had Rheumatic Fever.  My brother and I almost died on that one.  It damaged my heart muscle.

I do remember that we had some kind of shot that formed a scab that kept us from getting something.

I'm going to go searching to find the answer to my questions......

@Annabellethecat66

Some in the medical field say those of us who had those illnesses are protected. Others say our immunity is not as strong as it used to be, we need a booster.

You might want to ask your MD what is best for you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Measles Outbreak

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66If you have had both types of measles, mumps and chickenpox, you are almost 100% guaranteed not to get them again.  You do not need to be immunized from these diseases.

The  “shot” that formed the scab was most likely for smallpox.  Most older adults have a small scar on their upper arm or upper thigh from this vaccine.  Some people who traveled a lot, might have had this vaccine more than once and more than one scar.  The smallpox vaccine is no longer required.

I remember getting and having measles twice and chickenpox.  I never had the mumps and I remember getting the smallpox immunization when I was really young.

For some reason unknown, I remember things that happened when I was young..even before my second birthday.

People that have not had the diseases, but were immunized instead might need to get a booster.  Often they are required before students are allowed to move into college dorms.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Hi Annabelle... I think the one you are thinking of was for smallpox..  I could be wrong but I think it also left a scar in the shape of a circle ... 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Annabellethecat66If you have had both types of measles, mumps and chickenpox, you are almost 100% guaranteed not to get them again.  You do not need to be immunized from these diseases.

The  “shot” that formed the scab was most likely for smallpox.  Most older adults have a small scar on their upper arm or upper thigh from this vaccine.  Some people who traveled a lot, might have had this vaccine more than once and more than one scar.  The smallpox vaccine is no longer required.

I remember getting and having measles twice and chickenpox.  I never had the mumps and I remember getting the smallpox immunization when I was really young.

For some reason unknown, I remember things that happened when I was young..even before my second birthday.

People that have not had the diseases, but were immunized instead might need to get a booster.  Often they are required before students are allowed to move into college dorms.

@Carmie

According to some researchers and doctors, that is NOT true.  @Annabellethecat66 should ask her own doctor.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 can you show me where you got your information?

Everywhere I have looked and per information from my health care provider, there are two types of measles.  Once you get them, you cannot get them again. If you have a mild form of chickenpox, you can get it again and it can return as shingles.

If you got the MMR vaccine, you might need a booster.  I know for a fact that many colleges will not allow students to live in the dorms without a booster.

Health care providers can check to see if you have had the measles if you don’t know or remember.  Once you have the antibodies from the actual disease,  they last a lifetime.

A booster is not given or needed if you have had Measles or full blown Chickenpox.

I looked high and low and cannot find where  this information is any different.  If I am wrong or things have changed...where would I find it?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Noel7 can you show me where you got your information?

Everywhere I have looked and per information from my health care provider, there are two types of measles.  Once you get them, you cannot get them again. If you have a mild form of chickenpox, you can get it again and it can return as shingles.

If you got the MMR vaccine, you might need a booster.  I know for a fact that many colleges will not allow students to live in the dorms without a booster.

Health care providers can check to see if you have had the measles if you don’t know or remember.  Once you have the antibodies from the actual disease,  they last a lifetime.

A booster is not given or needed if you have had Measles or full blown Chickenpox.

I looked high and low and cannot find where  this information is any different.  If I am wrong or things have changed...where would I find it?

@Carmie

No, I can't show you because it was on a TV special report on the news.  But I can tell you this, we are not supposed to make comments like this, "You do not need to be immunized from these diseases."  A direct claim like that when she has a chronic immune system is not ok.  It's not ok even if she didn't have a immune problem. Neither you nor I know what she needs or doesn't need. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Measles Outbreak

[ Edited ]

@Noel7  of course everyone should check with their PCP. That is a given.

TV Special report on the News, huh?  Well I guess it must be true then if you said so.

I have a doctors appointment this coming week,  I will check with her and see what she says. I’ll bet you that she will concur with the CDC where my information came from.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

TV Special report on the News, huh?  Well I guess it must be true then if you said so.

I have a doctors appointment this coming week,  I will check with her and see what she says. I’ll bet you that she will concur with the CDC where my information came from.

Do you really think the objection is over the booster shot or not?  It isn’t @Carmie. It’s about you telling someone what she does or doesn’t need.  You are not qualified to make decisions for someone with an autoimmune system problem. This is something she needs to ask her doctor about.  

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Do you really think the objection is over the booster shot or not?  It isn’t @Carmie. It’s about you telling someone what she does or doesn’t need.  You are not qualified to make decisions for someone with an autoimmune system problem. This is something she needs to ask her doctor about.  

@Noel7...I have noticed a trend lately in this forum of posters giving medical advice knowing nothing about the specifics of someone's individual needs only available to their personal physician.