Honored Contributor

I don't think getting though something, is a reason not to be  vaccinated. Not everyone got through it. Some people developed complications, and some might have died

The anti Vaxers are taking us back to the dark ages ,when people had no choice but to accept whatever  fate awaited them, if they contracted childhood diseases

I went to school with polio victims who were on crutches and in braces. Polio was almost wiped out by  vaccines, but now it is making a comeback

The next thing we will hear is ,don't be afraid of smallpox, not everyone dies or is scarred for life...  Woman Sad

Valued Contributor

Reading these posts do bring me back.  I too was brought up in the 50's and I remember getting these diseases.  I must admit I don't remember them being traumatic but age may have softened that.  We did not have quarantine notices.  I also remember the test for polio.  My brothers was positive and for a long time my brother and parents had to go for I believe it was xrays.  I never had too.  Again, this was a different time. In my time most mothers did not work and  childeren were kept home from school when they were ill; ' I feel for parents today who have the pressure of a job that won't allow them time off often taking childrent to school when ithey would be better. home.  I also fault the schools for forcing childrent with a dr. note each time a child is out.  You can be sick for a couple of days and get over it withut seeing a dr.  It runs up an expense to run your kid to the dr to have them tell you it's viral and to wait it out!

I also think parents need to use the advancement in medicine to protect their children.  My son and grandchildren are all vaccinated. I would hate for anyone to endure a disease if it could have been prevented.  

That being said, why haven't I gotten my shingles shot yet?   Guess I'd better make the appointment.

Honored Contributor

Nothing to do with measles but...

In elementary school, in the 60’s, I remember a nurse coming to school to dispense oral polio vaccines to the students.  The liquid vaccine was in a sugar cube.