Honored Contributor

My heels get very dry, even tho I do keep my feet covered most of the time (socks and or slippers are on most of the time) and they are well cared for...lotion, vaseline, etc so taking care of them is not the problem....

As a kid I had this problem and mom used A and D ointment on them, they would get cracks, peel and sometime bleed a litte.

I have been to the doctor - she wanted to to use a particular drug - cannot remember the name but the insurance would not cover it and even the nurse warned me about taking that particular drug....fast forward this last week my heel (only one) is really sore and red...there are a few 'cuts' but nothing serious looking, just painful to put all my weight on that foot...

I say all this to ask is there such thing as a HEEL SHIELD....that I can put in the shoe, maybe I am walking wrong and putting to much pressure on that foot.

Anyone ever use a shield/or cup in their shoe?  Thanks

Honored Contributor

Foot doctor

Honored Contributor

I used tincture of benzoin when I was younger with horribly crakced heels. I now use Karasal, which is about $15.00 a tube. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 ...already been there....no help.

Trusted Contributor

I use gel heel inserts from Walmart. They have Dr. Scholl's in the pharmacy department. I buy a different brand that's carried in the shoe department.

Heel inserts are sold almost everywhere and aren't expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometime late last night or in the wee hours I woke up to a show (tv was on) called Toe Bro, at least I think that was the name. All about a foot doctor and his various patients. Kind of like Dr. Pimple Popper but focused on foot problems. One patient was a young woman who had suffered for years from horribly dry and cracked heels making walking at all very painful. He cut away all the thick dried skin down to new pink skin then used a smoother of some sort (like a dremel) to smooth it all down. He sent her home with instructions for foot care to prevent it. 

Some of the foot problems he took care of were tough to look at and watch, ulcers, deeply infected ingrown toenails, etc. Fascinating show that I had never heard of nor seen before. They must have been showing a marathon of them because I think I stayed awake through at least 2 or 3 shows. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I use gel heel guards that I have found at CVS and Big Lots.  Both work well. I don't see the need to spend Dr. Scholls high price.

Honored Contributor

You could try a different insert in your shoes if they are removable. You can also try one of those heel cup inserts if it will work in your shoes. I tried those in my sneakers because of planter fasciitis but it raised my foot up so it made my sneakers tight across the top of my feet so I could not use that.

I get the dry callous areas on my feet/heels I use Footnanny cream & my Emjoi.

Buy some Kerasal ointment & use it daily to soften & remove dead skin. You will have to keep using it when you get your feet how you like them. I did that & started using my Emjoi & footnanny cream. You really have to keep after your feet. It does not take long for the dead skin to build back up.

Soaking your feet in some epsom salts should also help.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl ....I can watch Dr. Pimple Popper but the Toe Bro...no way....my feet are nothing like that.....I have always taken care of them....

I cannot imagine people letting their feet get that bad, unless they are afraid of the doctor, which I know happens.

Honored Contributor

Mom to Dogs: What did the foot doctor say?