Honored Contributor

When I was a child and got measles our house was quarantined.We had to stay home until we were checked out and were well.There was a yellow notice placed on our door to let others know to stay away.I think we need to go back to that if people are not getting vaccinated. We need to protect others from contracting infectious disease.What about the people who can’t afford healthcare or those who pay a high deductible.Outbreaks could be avoidable if people vaccinated their children.

Honored Contributor
I agree! Measles is highly contagious and can be serious. When I was a kid, my brother came down with the measles...the dr said to keep me and my other siblings home from school since we would probably catch it anyway...so we stayed home to catch the measles. There was no measles vaccine back then. Such a shame some parents are now putting their children in harms way when it isn’t necessary....and are putting scores of their schoolmates and others at rosk as well.
Respected Contributor

When I started first grade back in the middle 50's, there were no vaccinations for any of these diseases.  I had lived in the country, and it was my first experience around so many other kids.  I got everything during my first couple years (measles, rubella, mumps, chicken pox, you-name-it).  So did most of the other kids.  I did miss a lot of school but, other than that, no big deal.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde  It can be very serious for some..eg expectant moms.

Esteemed Contributor

Also serious for adult males, the elderly, and those with cronic illnesses.

Take a stroll through a cemetary this summer. You'll notice many headstones of children prior to about 1955 to 1960. Why? Because so many youngsters didn't survive childhood diseases. By the mid-'50's most children had been vaccinated. The death rates dropped significantly and the headstones for children dropped dramatically. If that doesn't prove immunizations are worthwhile, I don't know what does!

I remember those big iron lungs and children in wheelchairs. So happy medicine found a way to eliminate so much suffering and death. Those memories may not have names (to me), but they remain in the back of my mind 65 years later with the same sorrow as then.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

So sad that there are so many parents who refuse to get their children vaccinated..... I know this is going to sound mean but I hope these parents & their children get a really bad case of the measles & suffer for their stupidity... sorry but, they deserve it. 🙃

Honored Contributor

I remember that but back then, people understood the dangers of measles, mumps, rheubella.  We know those diseases were not just benign little illnesses that keep kids home from school for a few days.  We remember the high fevers, the febrile seizures, the blindness that occurred for measles, the pneumonia, the deaths.  We now have three generations of Americans who don't have those memories; they know nothing about those diseases so they don't know how devastating the can be.  I find it ironic that the anti vaxers who were vaccinated themselves and are the children of parents and even grandparents who were vaccinated....don't want that same protection for their own children.  I never thought I'd ever see such ignorance here in this country.  

Respected Contributor

We are allowing this nation to have third world health country conditions.

Diseases that were once decreased are now showing up again and are on the rise. It can and should be prevented and stopped from occurring.

Didn't a wise man say, " the good of the many outweighs the good of the one."

Respected Contributor

I had two different kinds of measles and chicken pox when I was a kid.  They didn't have vaccines back then.  It was miserable.  I remember being so sick and my mother would make me stay in bed and kept the blinds drawn because they were afraid it would affect my eyes.  One of my sister's friends had a little girl who died as a result of measles.  They are a serious illness.  Give your children the vaccine. 

Esteemed Contributor

You just can’t fix stupid!!

When I was a kid I got mumps & chicken pox pre vaccine. Each time I was out of school for 2 weeks. I suffered miserably both times!! Thank God my son got all the vaccinations & avoided that misery!!