Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Lipitor Question

[ Edited ]

Been on 10 mg. of Zocor (simvastatin) for years.

No problems that I know of, thankfully.

Valued Contributor

Twinkies-Please tell me more about CoQ10.  This is new to me.  What does it do and how does it help?  Also, what is the amount to take daily?

Honored Contributor

I just ran across this article on a possible benefit of Statins. Hate to tack it onto this thread as I'm afraid nobody will see it.   Having had two parents with macular degeneration,  this is important information. 

2016-02-05 22.32.04.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Just be careful.... I was on two different kind of statins, one for over a year and became so debilitated from the harm it was doing to my muscles (legs) that I could not climb a flight of stairs.  Had I stayed on them I would be permanently crippled.  

I had a bad reaction to them.  Yes, the cholestoral was like 130 but egads.... my life was rapidly becoming ruined.  I did my research late (and learned from it) and realized that these drugs affect muscles very badly (for some) and one of those muscles is the heart.

Yes, I did take CoQ-10 as recommended by my doctor.  I still have stability issues with my leg muscles which I'm told is permanent now but believe it or not my old doctor where I used to live was really skeptical about what I was telling him my reaction was.... and my new doctor here had me try one and I had the same, very bad reaction to it in a matter of days.  Now she wants me to try yet another one.... which I'm not going to do....

After major heart testing in 2013 after a pinched nerve in my neck (didn't know i had it at the time) had me thinking I was having a heart attack.....  all my tests turned out great.  No blockages, nothing but good news....

I'm not convinced all of us have to have our cholesterol down to practically nothing....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

co q 10 occurs naturally in the body but as we get older. our body manufactures less of it , We can get it in certain foods like organ meats and fish , however if you are on Lipitor the medication ursurps most of your co q10 and leaves your system with even less , The muscles in your body need co q 10 to make the "energy cycle" of your body to keep going and manufacturing and supplying your cells with the added nutrients for your muscles which is where the energy cycle occurs. [Krebs cycle.It] is complicated'  Your heart is a muscle and if you do not get enough co q 10 it weakens your hearts ability to function at its optimum level . And although we need statins to keep our cholesterol low it is a double edged sword- so to speak. That is why people who are on long term statins who do not supplement themselves with coq10 suffer from muscle weakness and can deteriorate quickly .It can caause fatique and muscle weakness.  All our cells suffer without it . You need to discuss the amount you should take with your doctor but its probably about 200 mg a day , Do not take  at night because it can cause insommnia or in some people nervousness , Doctors do not take nutrition courses but most do know about coq10 . it can also prevent macular degeneration . I am not an expert on this and this is just a general scope of it , You can just look up COq10 and statins to learn about it , You should be careful if you are on blood thinners or medications for arrythmias , So its good to talk to your doctor , If you have a cardiologist -ask him .

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

you might want to try taking pumpkin  seed oil capsules, 1000 mg 2 times a day with meals  to lower your cholesterol along with reservatrol . capsules 2 times a day , This is what I take and my cholesterol and triglycerides are very low. make sure you take pumpkin seed oil with food. Pumpkin seed oil capsules are cheap .

cathy from ma

I