Super Contributor

Re: Lingering cough.................

Grandi-I know about that lingering cough. Early fall they found a cancerous nodule on my left lung-1. Scheduled me for surgery to take a piece of my rt. lung out with the cancerous nodule. I had a cough two weeks before the surgery.

Surgery done but the cough lingered. Had visiting nurses to check me out including seeing the pulmonary doc and chest x-rays. Still the cough lingered. By the way I NEVER smoked.

The doctor tried and put me on Prednisone because of my asthma and a week of antibiotics.

Cough still with me. Tried another week of Prednisone and antibiotics. No luck there.

Well, finally he found a prescription of Benzonatate 100 mg (3 times per day). I just took the pill tonight-so far no cough. Evidently this make the esophagus not want to cough. We will see. I have to call doc. on Weds. to let him know what is happening as he says he has something else up his sleeve!

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

On 1/17/2015 feline groovy said:

Forgot to mention that for a lingering cough that hasn't really responded to anything, my docs have prescribed a steroid to lessen the lung inflammation.

It almost always cures a non-serious chronic cough, like from bronchitis, etc.

My ENT does this when I have had a stubborn sinus infection. He gives me a combo of prednesone and antibiotics. I go for a ct scan and he takes a culture also.
===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

On 1/16/2015 adelle38 said:

If he's had a cough for a month, he needs to see a doctor. It could be a symptom of something very serious.

Lingering coughs are bad, you are correct.

If it turns out it was from bronchitis, which makes your lungs twitchy afterwards, hot steamy showers can help.

Honored Contributor

I am also recommending a followup visit to your physician. A continuing cough after a respiratory illness can lead to a diagnosis of asthma. Respiratory illnesses cause extreme inflammation and damage to the cilia in the lungs. The hairlike cilia act as filters, and when those filters are permanently damaged by a respiratory illness, your body reacts by coughing, which is a stimulation effect and a way for the body to protect itself. Asthma needs to be monitored and treated, in order to keep the lungs as healthy as possible for as long as possible, since there is great potential for this lung condition to turn into COPD.

Honored Contributor

On 1/18/2015 VaBelle35 said:
On 1/17/2015 feline groovy said:

Forgot to mention that for a lingering cough that hasn't really responded to anything, my docs have prescribed a steroid to lessen the lung inflammation.

It almost always cures a non-serious chronic cough, like from bronchitis, etc.

My ENT does this when I have had a stubborn sinus infection. He gives me a combo of prednesone and antibiotics. I go for a ct scan and he takes a culture also.

Thank goodness it also works on sinus inflammation; smart, thorough doc. 8)