Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I haven't  been around here in a couple of years. My Dr. wants me to have a knee replacement. I know  he's right but not sure I want to do it. Have read a lot and some say the knee still hurts and wish they hand't done it. This knee never hurt until last year when I just got out of chair and the front below knee hurt. Had x-ray and showed arthritis.  My left hip was bad and was a priority. Got shot in knee jn Dec. of 2017 and it worked. No pain for weeks.Shot every3 months,it was great. Finally had hip done in  September of this year. Everyone said hip surgery is easier than knee. Hip is great now. Leg was almost 2 ins. shorter before surgery almost even now. In hospital on Monday am and home late Tuesday afternoon.  Had a spinal, all went well.  At 2 week checkup he gave me  another shot in my knee. Well, nothing. Shots stopped working. Anyone with knee replacement experience?  Thanks in advance.

Both my MIL and Mother have knee issues.  My Mom does need knee surgery but her age and health concerns, there is no doctor who will do the surgery (she is almost 80).  My MIL just had knee replacement surgery last summer.  It all went very well.  After released from hospital, she went to outpatient rehab for one week.  She's very happy she did it. 

Your mother should find another orthopedic surgeon.  People in their 80's and 90's do indeed have joint replacements.  I don't know what health issues your mother has but my mother in law is 81 and she has diabetes and a heart condtion and she is going to have a knee replacement in January. Almost a year to the day when I had mine.   She's not going to have general anesthesia, she's going to have a spinal and she'll do all of her rehab at a rehab hospital.  She'll be in rehab 4 to 6 weeks.  It was a team decision with all of her doctors because they thought that she's under greater risk with chronic pain which puts an incredible stress on the body and she's been using Tylenol (which doesn't help much) for too long and emotionally, she needs her life back.   

Super Contributor

90 year olds getting joint replacement? I highly doubt it. Even @80 years it's a risk.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@sfnative  Yes they did an MRI on knee. I know the knee requires pre and post PT. when I asked him way my friends didn't have to do post surgery PT, he said some Dr. don't require it. As I said I did PT for hip a couple of times and it aggrevated my knee.  Hip is great and I just walk. Even the 85 year old was told to walk no PT. She's tooling around like nobody's business. I know I will have to do knee differently.

@CrazyKittyLvr2

I had my left knee done shortly after retiring.  (Had a very physically active job.)  My issue was not arthritis - no arthritis in joint - however, I had developed what is called a valgus knee, which would only get worse.  In my case, the knee was bending sideways or inward, causing my knee to buckle, which in turn, caused  me to stumble/fall.  So not good,  Because a tourniquet is used on the leg during surgery, there is fluid back-up in the operative leg/knee.  This massively decreases range-of-motion post-op.  I was placed in a "class" at an excellent PT clinic and had 6 weeks of PT, 2x/week for 6 weeks.  It was excellent and I would never have chosen not to do it.

All the best to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I know when I get my knee done I am going to a different therapy facility.Where I went after stroke and for pre-hip surgery thry are nice but was not impressed. the only thing affected after stroke was my dominate hand. some weakness and handwritting was legiable but wobbly. They had me squeeze ball. pick up coins, practice making out a check and writing my name.  For $350.00 an hour I can do that at home. I realize knee will be different but paying my the part of the $350 my insurance didn't cover irked me.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I know when I get my knee done I am going to a different therapy facility.Where I went after stroke and for pre-hip surgery thry are nice but was not impressed. the only thing affected after stroke was my dominate hand. some weakness and handwritting was legiable but wobbly. They had me squeeze ball. pick up coins, practice making out a check and writing my name.  For $350.00 an hour I can do that at home. I realize knee will be different but paying my the part of the $350 my insurance didn't cover irked me.

@CrazyKittyLvr2

Because I was the Administrative Directior of a large Physical Therapy Clinic in the '80s, I know what you're talking about.

Speak with your surgeon and be frank about your situation.  Tell him/her that you simply cannot afford PT sessions to exceed 30-40 minutes in length.  Period.  Your physical therapist can provide you with a home program to go along with that which you're doing at the PT clinic.

Trusted Contributor

Well @bonappetit I am 79 and will be having my knee replacement surgery early next year.  When I mentioned my age the doctor said he had just operated on a 92 year old.  So, it does get done on someone in their 90's.  Surgery is a risk at any age.

Respected Contributor

Re: Knee Replacement

[ Edited ]

Best to you Chlemma. Yes, but the older one gets the higher the risk. Hope it all works out for you.

Valued Contributor

Joint replacements for 90+ years olds happens all the time.  Decisions for surgery are highly patient specific and elective procedures don't take place without prior clearance from physician/s. 

Super Contributor

Just wanted to say I had both of my knees done and it's the best thing I ever did for myself .

Good luck in whatever you decide .

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative  I wouldn't mind paying the money if it's things I can't do at home. PT has equipment I won't have at home and I know they make sure you don't injure yourself.My objection was the PT for my hand after stroke. Things she had me do, like picking up coins could be done at home for nothing as opposed to $350 an hour.