Respected Contributor

Doctor told me to drink Kefir for Gurgling

I suffer from persistent gurgling sounds in the lower quadrant on the right side. Doctor cannot find a cause and said the sounds are worse in some people than others. Since there is no pain he is not concerned about a blockage. Colonoscopy came back with only one non cancerous polyp. I was told to consumer Kefir daily. I bought a bottle but found it too sour to get down. Does anyone else drink kefir ?

Valued Contributor

Re: Doctor told me to drink Kefir for Gurgling

I do but not as much as I did. It gives me a lot of gas which makes me afraid to go out. So I drink it when I know I'll stay home for the day.

I like the taste, but it depends on the brand you buy. Try the various flavors. I do not like sweet so tend to go toward lemon, or I love the ginger/cayenne one.

I'm not sure how it will help with gurgling because it does give you gass.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it near the appendix? 

Does The gurgling cause you pain?

Also...does it cause gas? (the gas)

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I suffer from persistent gurgling sounds in the lower quadrant on the right side. Doctor cannot find a cause and said the sounds are worse in some people than others. Since there is no pain he is not concerned about a blockage. Colonoscopy came back with only one non cancerous polyp. I was told to consumer Kefir daily. I bought a bottle but found it too sour to get down. Does anyone else drink kefir ?

@Reever  Could you maybe think it with some milk of some kind?  Put in a salad dressing like buttermilk?  

Honored Contributor

I've tried it and think it's too strong and gross. My husband didn't think it was that bad.

Honored Contributor

I can’t drink it straight but I do add it to other foods. My favorite thing to do is add some to a bowl of soup. 

Honored Contributor

I'm curious about this because I gurgle, but only at night.

My doctor says it's gas, take something OTC., which I do.

I don't have all my intestines and what I have left is not working normally.

The gurgling/gas is most likely from fermented food in my intestines, food that hasn't passed all the way through yet.

Kefir is fermented milk.   I don't understand why it would help for gurgling.

And can't you just take pro-biotics for the same effect?

Respected Contributor

Software, my doctor believes in consuming through natural goods not pills. She doesn't get excited about my vitamin and Fish oil regime she thinks I should get them from a balanced diet.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I drink Kefir every day, one cup 8oz. Love most flavors although a friend who partakes just goes for the plain. I need a little flavor in mine.

Not sure what it's going to do for gurgling but a few years ago DH's oncologist suggested it for him for better digestion of good gut bacteria when he was having problems with diahrrea. DH never did use it but he's good now.

I drink it for good gut and great calcium intake (along with organic whole milk every day and a multi vit). Better flavors of Kefir I think are the madagascar vanilla, peach, wild berry, then strawberry, blueberry. Always be sure to shake shake shake it.  You can always make blender drinks with it too, add more fruit and/or veggies and milk.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't drink it but it would probably go good in a protein shake.  My sister in law drinks it everyday and she swears by it.  Myself, I like plain greek yogurt and feel that gives me the same pro biotic benefit and none of the unwanted fruit sugars.