Trusted Contributor

Re: Keto Diet Again

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom

So here's a question for you.  Have you ever had Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes? 

Something tells me the answer is "no".  And if that's the case, then you shouldn't be trash talking an eating lifestyle that you obviously have not researched or commited to.  If a high carb diet is what you do and you feel good about, then that's great.  BUT, a high carb diet is not appropriate for a person with diabetes, especially T2. 

With that said, the keto lifestyle has been proven time and again to be healthy and safe.  Unfortunately, you will read both good and bad about keto - like every eating program out there.  Dr. Mercola and Dr. Jason Fung are two physicians on YouTube and have both done a lot of research on keto, intermittent fasting (which is still practiced in many cultures) and have disproven a lot of the garbage that floats around on the internet.

So before you start talking trash about a lifestyle you clearly don't understand or follow, I highly suggest you stop talking about something you have zero clue about.  Many T2 diabetics have benefitted greatly from this way of eating for years, including myself.  I no longer have to take diabetic meds, which are costly and have side effects. 

Oh, and my keto lifestyle is also high in fiber (I eat a ton of fresh veggies).  And my IBS that I had for the last 4 years from a major stress event in my life is also gone.  Good gut flora, indeed from a wonderfully healthy keto adapted lifestyle Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991

No. Diabetes has never been in my life.

My mother & father had T2, though..and their siblings had T2,

but neither myself nor my siblings have had diabetes

so we can rule out the false diagnosis as ‘genetic.’

Many, including yourself, don’t understand how diabetes works.

Intramyocellular Lipids

Research it.

Learn something about the deadly condition you have &

how to avoid it...instead of trying to defend a determential ‘fad diet’

which only exasperates the condition.

Intramyocellular Lipids

Unless someone understands how Diabetes works,

it’s pointless to discuss intelligently. Once one truly understands

the process, they will discover it’s the fat inside the

muscle cells/liver which causes Diabetes. 

I really hope you & others research this. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Let me translate this for you.

Intramyocellular lipids is a fancy medical term for fat within the muscles.  Guess what that fat is used for?  Energy. Guess what the keto diet is?  Fat used as energy.

Diabetes has ZERO to do with fat.  It is everything to do with the pancreas (NOT a muscle) and insulin (NOT a fat) and leveling the amount of sugar (NOT a fat) in your blood (NOT a muscle). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In addition to learning about Intramyocellular Lipids,

also educate oneself about Insulin Sensitivity.

BTW: fatty livers are never a good thing. 

And Fat has everything to do with Diabetes.

Learn.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  You are actually dangerous and it's not even funny if you are just doing it for a laugh. 

Unless you have jumped to a completely separate topic, the liver has nothing to do with the main cause of diabetes.  Insulin is secreted by the pancreas NOT the liver. The liver is all about toxins and cleansing the blood not monitoring the sugar in it.  That is all pancreas all the time.    

Just google diabetes for a straight definition of what it is actually defined as before you continue to spread really bad misinformation like this.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And in case anyone is wondering, if you are insulin sensitive it means your body uses carbohydrates very well. 

But if you are insulin resistant also known as the precursor to diabetes, your cells don't respond to carbs very well which break down into sugars.  These sugars build up in your blood because they can't be absorbed readily and there you have Type 2 diabetes.  

So anyone with common sense here can see that eating carbohydrates is one of the worst things you can do as a diabetic.  Your cells literally can't absorb the carbs or sugar and your blood sugar spikes.  Low carbs is the way to go for those with blood sugar issues. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

But if you are insulin resistant also known as the precursor to diabetes, your cells don't respond to carbs very well which break down into sugars.  These sugars build up in your blood because they can't be absorbed readily and there you have Type 2 diabetes.  

So...if someone is insulin resistant, why doesn’t their body

respond well to carbohydrates...the body’s preferred fuel?

And why do they ‘build up?’

And why can;t they be absorbed readily?

Answer:  Fat

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  You must know more than the actual researchers because they haven't figured it out completely yet.   

The fact is your cells react to the insulin that is secreted by the pancreas to absorb the glucose from the carbs.  That's how it is supposed to work.    

Why it stops working and people become resistant to the insulin is not known yet.  If it was, diabetes would not exist because we'd probably figure out a way to turn the response back on again.

Some theories are genetics, stress, eating such a high carb diet so that the cells become desenstized, etc....

Notice "fat" was nowhere in my answer because it has nothing to do with the primary development of diabetes.      

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

So...if someone is insulin resistant, why doesn’t their body

respond well to carbohydrates...the body’s preferred fuel?

NOT the body's preferred fuel just the easiest to get.  If the cells can't absorb the carbs or sugar because the insulin response isn't working, it builds up in the blood and you get too much sugar in the blood aka diabetes.  

And why do they ‘build up?’

If your cells don't respond to the insulin any longer and no longer open up to absorb the carbs or sugar, it has no place to go.  

And why can;t they be absorbed readily?

Cells don't respond to the insulin any longer to open up and take in the carbs or sugar in your blood.  

Answer:  Fat

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to address the statement that the keto diet is safe for Type 1 diabetics. Maybe short term if someone wishes to lose a few pounds but long term use is contra-indicated as it can play havoc with the kidneys. It puts excessive strain on the kidneys and can result in health problems.

I did keto for a very long time having Type 1 diabetes for almost 50 years. What I learned was that just because your AlC is perfect, it doesn't give free reign to eating a lot of fat and protein eliminating most sources of carbohydrates. All that fat still takes a toll on the coronary arteries and often results in coronary artery disease. I was the poster child for good blood glucose control yet I still have had two major heart attacks. One resulted in heart failure for a few months.

So tread carefully with diets that promote a lot of fat intake. A balanced diet with adequate amounts of fat, protein and vegetables still holds merit. Nothing fancy about it but still can be a healthy means of achieving good glucose control and less heart disease.