Esteemed Contributor

Re: Increase Protein Intake For Women Over 50

You know how Gibbs has rule?  Well, I have rules, too.  Some of my top 10 rules:

#1.  Don't believe ANYTHING that someone is hawking on TV or Radio when it comes to a product that's supposed to be good for you. Period!  Ever! 

#2.  Self:  If you need to know something, research, research, research, then speak with doctor so-and-so, then research some more.

#3.  NEVER EVER go to a healthfood store, approach a sales associate and ask for ADVICE or even a question.

#4.  Remember:  What is good for one person, may not be so good for another.

#5.  Remember the rule about MODERATION in all things.

Respected Contributor

Well went in for my annual check up and my doc told me based on my weight (he did a calculation explanation out loud for me) he recommends the 90grams of protien per day.  30 at breakfast....30 lunch and 30 for dinner would be best.

So I am going to shoot for that....my weight is 128lbs.  Guess Kerstin wasn't so off the mark with her comments after all!

Just wanted to share what my doc told me today.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a doctor appointment this morning and we discussed protein requirements. I am 62 years old and he told me that I should aim for 30% of my daily calorie allotment as protein. I mentioned that "somebody" had said no more than 10% and he actually laughed. He said, "OK, and chances are your hair will eventually start falling, you'll start getting very fatigued, and you'll just generally start to not feel very well. No, no, keep it right around 30% and you'll be fine."

Honored Contributor

I remember a year or so ago instead of craving sweets I started really craving protein-any kind-nuts, fish, etc.

This was unusual for me and then I read that as we get older we do need more protein.

I think it is amazing how our bodies (if we are aware of them) tell us what we need.

Sometimes I think I have to have this! It could be lettuce, pineapple, beets and then read something about it that makes me think-no wonder I wanted that so much! Its pretty interesting.

The next time you find yourself craving something (and even french fries or something we consider unhealthy could mean you need salt and fats!), look it up and see what it does.

Sometimes you will see its an anti-inflammatory or calming food (lettuce and potatoes are some of these calming ones)!

Of course when I ate not good things a lot, I couldn't feel what my body was trying to tell me because lots of donuts, fast foods, sugar can squelch those natural cravings for things your body really needs.

These are just things I've noticed along the way.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

I had a doctor appointment this morning and we discussed protein requirements. I am 62 years old and he told me that I should aim for 30% of my daily calorie allotment as protein. I mentioned that "somebody" had said no more than 10% and he actually laughed. He said, "OK, and chances are your hair will eventually start falling, you'll start getting very fatigued, and you'll just generally start to not feel very well. No, no, keep it right around 30% and you'll be fine."

Of course he said that.

His livelihood depends on appointments, medications & surgeries.

30%...did he mention too much protein is hard on your kidneys?

30%...did he mention too much protein can be deterimental on your bones?

30%...did he mention too much protein is usually surrounded by too many calories?

30%...did he mention too much protein is usually surrounded by additional salt, fat, sugar?

30%...did he mention too much protein takes away from the carbohydrate ratio which fuels our bodies?

30%...did he mention too much protein is never consumed by the longest living people on the planet (Blue Zones)?

Yeah, didn't think so. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom    @PamelaSue72    

Oh, good grief .........    give it up already.    Your fake facts and alleged assumptions are nothing short of ridiculous. 

You DON'T know more than a doctor and you DON'T know anything about anyone here and their health.   Please stop pretending you know more than medical professionals, doctors and certfied nutritionists, or what they think.    

Maybe you should go eat another potato ....  and some protein.  lol

Honored Contributor

They're not 'fake facts.'  

Might behoove you to do a little research on the

subject before yelling at me in large bold letters.

Several of us upthread have explained protein needs

do not need to be that high.  So this personal attack is

clearly not warranted.  I didn't say anything about potatoes

but I appreciate the shout out. Go SpudFit.  Go Potato Hack!

Just proves you c.a.n. live healthfully & thrive on small amts of protein. 

I'm not 'pretending' to be anything.  I'm sharing all the personal

research & actual application I've done over many years.  

It's not rocket science....everyone is talking about it. 

I'm stunned how people don't know this.  

At this point, the doctor, who was referenced, didn't offer any 

reason w.h.y. it should 30%...not 20, not 40, but 30%.

I guess I wouldn't be a 'sheeple' to just randomly accept

a number without a good reason.  

Love the scare tactics though...'hair falling out', 'fatigued',

'not feeling very well'...BTW, those 3 things could account for,

oh, a million other different things.   I'm surprised he also

didn't say '...and the Bogeyman will get you' if one eats

20% less protein every day!  Oooooooo.

'30%'...almost sounds like he j.u.s.t. finished reading 'The Zone'.

Personally, I would fire that doctor.

My doctors are much, much more knowledgeable than that.

And they're free.

And I'm healthy, to boot.

And no, I'm not bald or sleeping all day...and yes, I feel amazing!

All that with only 10% protein.  

win-win-win

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never tried those. For some reason I thought they had artificial sweeteners in them. I just looked & did not see any.

Do they taste good? What flavor do you drink? Have you used the vanilla & added fruit? TIA

Since it has milk not sure if I can drink them or not. I don't eat ice cream because it bothers my stomach. I guess all I can do is try them.

I think this may be what my FIL drinks per his doctor. I will check with him & see if I can buy one to try first.

They have sucralose.  Lets them out for me!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'Used to be' that too much protein is hard on the kidneys.  So, looking and thinking about all of these supplemental protein powders, etc. that some folks are taking.......It could be that some people are taking 'way too much'.  Same with those concentrated caffeine powders that some younger people are taking.   Too much of one single thing could be a health hazard, in the long run.  I haven't read all of the comments here, but thought I'd throw my thoughts into the mix.  ............. A balanced diet, with a bit more protein via the actual protein food sounds as though it could be the better road to take.   I'd hesitate taking all/any of the supplements that are on the market without talking with a doctor.  For senior folks, talking with a geriatric doc or geriatric N/P would be wise, because our organs' (kidneys) ability to handle certain intake(s) are very different than, say, a middle-aged person.  We do have to be a bit more careful.  Same with babies and young children.........their organs can handle only so much of 'this and that', otherwise it's counter-productive and maybe dangerous.  ........... Just be careful and keep in mind that a balanced diet with a touch more protein (not too-too much; not an over-abundance) is probably a good alternative.  ............ p.s.  Not all docs are experienced re: seniors.  Throughout the years, I've known several folks who were having many, many problems; and being switched over to geriatric docs solved most, if not all, of their problems.  'Like night and day', so to speak. Too much of 'this or that' may not necessarily work well for some people/seniors/children/babies, etc.  . 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

The Harvard Newsletter says that you should multiply your weight by .36, and that will give you the amount of protein you should eat per day. However, a lot depends on height, weight, age, and whether or not you are pregnant. They gave this link to a protein calculator: https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli