Honored Contributor

Re: 🦷 IMPLANT SURGERY 🦷

@cheriere 

My neighbor is in the middle of this process, and had two tips she said I should pass on to you ...

First, afterwards, rinsing with salt water helps with the healing process.  She uses sea salt.  

Second, her anesthesiologist told her that after surgery, your beverage of choice should be ice water.  Just as we use an ice pack for swelling on an injury, ice water will help with the swelling/inflammation in your mouth and can be rather soothing.  

Sending you a hug .........  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I really appreciate your getting those tips from your neighbor.❤️ 

I was hoping someone had advice about what I should do afterwards.  I always drink my bottles of water a little frozen anyways, so that we be easy.

I was also going to let you know about the prescriptions I just picked up from the pharmacy.  The surgeon did send in 10 Diazepam.  It just says take one tablet daily as needed.  She also sent Ibuprofen, prescription mouthwash, promethazine, and amoxicillin.

I  sure hope this does the trick because she assured me that she wouldn't let me suffer afterwards.❤️

Super Contributor

@cheriere - I think that ALL of your aftercare suggestions should come ONLY from your oral surgeon, not "hot tips" from people without any medical training. I had implants from two different oral surgeons, each with different aftercare recommendations. I have to believe that each had a different medically-based protocol based on the actual procedure. Implants are not cookie-cutter surgery. After paying big bucks for surgical  expertise, why look elsewhere for aftercare recommendations? Hope all goes well with the implant process!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q-Checker 

Thank you for the well wishes.  I really appreciate that.😃❤️

I am surprised she hasn't discussed more about my aftercare prior to the surgery Tuesday morning.  After being put to sleep, I'll be in no shape to listen carefully after I wake up.  Hopefully, she'll at least have some paperwork of instructions for me.

I'm just nervous because it's a big surgery.  Even though I'm having my upper teeth done, it's hard to think of losing those teeth that are cavity free.  I know my smile will be improved for the better.  But, I guess I'm just wondering what I should expect.

Seems like a lot of members here have went through this surgery.  It's nice to know how things went for them and that I'm not alone in this.  I welcome and appreciate any kind words or advice.❤️

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@We rescue cats 

Thank you, I'm gonna need it lol.😃❤️

I think I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown beforehand though.  I'm really anxious.😬 

I would feel the same. But they do this every day. I'm sure you will have ample pain killers and maybe something to relax you. 

Harmonize the World with Barbershop Music
Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

I really appreciate your getting those tips from your neighbor.❤️ 

I was hoping someone had advice about what I should do afterwards.  I always drink my bottles of water a little frozen anyways, so that we be easy.

I was also going to let you know about the prescriptions I just picked up from the pharmacy.  The surgeon did send in 10 Diazepam.  It just says take one tablet daily as needed.  She also sent Ibuprofen, prescription mouthwash, promethazine, and amoxicillin.

I  sure hope this does the trick because she assured me that she wouldn't let me suffer afterwards.❤️

Ten valium tablets. Awesome. You're not gonna feel anything but good. 😎🤩

Harmonize the World with Barbershop Music
Super Contributor

@cheriere - Both times that I had implants, I received printed aftercare recommendations and am guessing that this is standard practice. My Chinese oral surgeon, with a sense of humor (?) put the printed instructions and a mini ice-pack in the same kind of paper container that Chinese take-out food comes in. If it helps, I was surprised at how relatively little pain I had after the procedures.

Honored Contributor

I refused any RX for pain killers, I had faith they would not be needed and my faith won out !!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Q-Checker wrote:

@cheriere- Both times that I had implants, I received printed aftercare recommendations and am guessing that this is standard practice. My Chinese oral surgeon, with a sense of humor (?) put the printed instructions and a mini ice-pack in the same kind of paper container that Chinese take-out food comes in. If it helps, I was surprised at how relatively little pain I had after the procedures.

That makes me feel a lot better to know yours went smoothly.  I'm hoping for the same.🤞

That's great that your surgeon has a sense of humor like that.  My doctor is quite reserved, but she does have a good bedside manner.  ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother 

I was really glad to see she had sent that prescription in for me.  I guess she figures people are super anxious beforehand lol.  I'm hoping they'll help me to rest afterwards.🤞❤️