Regular Contributor
Can you tell me how you boost your immunity and prevent common colds, sore throats and the flu? I am not interested in vaccines but would like to see what people use or take to prevent these illness’s. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: How to boost your immunity?

I eat a Paleo diet, I am a crazy hand washer and I have trained myself not to touch my face.

I also take Andrew Lessman's Immune Factors.

I haven't had a cold since August 2014, my last office visit to my ENT for a sinus infection.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Elderberry syrup.  Buy elderberries on line and make the syrup, recipe also on line.

I also bought elderberry tea, although you need more than just a cup of elderberry tea.

Respected Contributor

I agree with VABelle- lots of hand washing, never touch face and try to get adequate sleep.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I try to eat a healthy diet which supports good gut flora. Gut flora has been proven to be highly involved in the immune system. When your gut is healthy, your whole body tends to be healthy.

Exercise boosts immunity primarily by lowering inflammation. Whenever there is the presence of inflammation (cytokines), your body becomes immunocompromised and susceptible to diseases, including infections.

ETA - On top of this, I always get my flu shot every year. Nothing else will, imo, increase the odds against getting sick from the flu better than a vaccine and that is backed by science.

Honored Contributor

Did you ask your doctor or pharmacist?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I agree with @SilleeMee!

Lots of fruit/vegetables with fiber to reduce inflammation

and boost gut heath!

Add in lots of sleep & stress reduction & handwashing,

and just hope for the best! 

In terms of vegetables, focus on the cruciferous vegetables:

cabbage, collards, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli.

(source: nutritionfacts)

💚🥦🥬🌽🍅🍆🥕🍎🍏🌶🍊🍇🍐🍏

Honored Contributor

Eat oranges for vitamin C boost, I also take an AirBorne the minute I think I'm feeling a bit odd, scratchy in the throat. Eat apples, one a day they say truly works.

You should already be eating more veggies & fruits. As always don't touch your face. Wash your hands often. Get a flu shot. Take a vitamin every day. Boost your immune system by a daily collegan mix, this very helps from the inside out.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the others about healthy diet, including green tea, and the hand washing (not antibacterial, though.)

But my true persuader is vitamin C that I take throughout the day.

@m0rgan

Thanks for the elderberry recommendation!

Honored Contributor

@Bixa2805-

Hi! 

Along with what others have said about hand washing, not touching face, sleep, vegetables and fruit,

I take a garlic or ginger capsule plus a multivitamin (women's gummy vitafusion, and vit d.

And when I feel like I might be getting a cold,

I've found Cold-eez with energy support-they are in the cold section and are a homeopathic thing.

I'm around young children with frequent colds so I think I do pretty well with not getting sick too often.

Oh and I do use those wipes on the grocery carts!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"