Honored Contributor

Re: How to avoid catching the flu?!

I have the flu shot and have had it for a long time.  The primary thing (as most posters have suggested) is wash your hands.  I work at a univesity.  Thousands of students milling about, touching doors etc.  It's offered here at school and most people take it.  Our insurance covers it.

I was very sick recently (and it was not the flu)  My husband had gone to a pub and he forgot to use a hand sanitizer.  He developed a bad cold.  As he was recovering, I came down with it.  But mine was much worse.  I developed a fever (infection of my sinus) and it attacked my stomach.  So there I was. I could not keep food down (both ends)  I ended up dropping from 114 lbs (my usual weight) to 106 lbs.  I almost panicked when I saw the scale and went to the doctor. At this point I was paranoid it was cancer.  One of the signs of cancer.....is a sudden weight loss.   Anyway he finally gave me medicine and I'm much better.  My weight is back up and I feel better.  But oh....was I sick!  I just don't want to go through something like that again....ever!

Honored Contributor

Seems like I am being surrounded by people at work who are getting the flu, and they all got the shots. I tell them to stay home, but...........seems everyone thinks they are too important not to show up. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler  and everyone else, green tea, holy basil oil, oil of oregano, coconut oil, garlic, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, sambucus (aka elderberry extract), among other things are wonderful anti-virals, and here is a Pub Med published article I love to share with others, regardless of their flu shot status, because if you get influenza, you simply have to deal with it! 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2957173/

Super Contributor

My family as well as myself take 750mg of Olive Leaf extract daily. We haven't been sick in years 😁

Esteemed Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

If a dish or piece of flatware leaves the cupboard it get washed before being put away again. 

Our hot water heater is on the highest setting......I have to wear gloves so I don't burn my hands. I swear this helps. Sleep in a separate room also. 

@CinNC    I agree with you we also gave our hot water  on the highest setting so I wear gloves as well .  Have always done this and I believe it does  help.   I alo agree with some of the other posters suggestions ..... Wash your hands !   Can't  stress that enough ,  I am always  washing my hands and carry sanitizing wipes in every purse and in the car ,  swear by them.   I also never touch my eyes, nose , face if have to use a tissue never my fingers when in public especially.     I am quilty of being a germaphobe,   I'm fine with others feeling I'm obsessed as long as it keeps me healthy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

I am a big believer in rubber gloves...have posted my thing about this but anyhoo...wear them and go around wiping down with those disposable disinfecting wipes.  TV remote...door knob..light switches....fridge handle and so on.  Then of course wash your hands and don't touch your face.  If you have a mask (I do for allergies) heck I'd wear that LOL!  And if at all possible do not sleep in the same room...coughing and gaging and sneezing all over the place in the air while you sleep. separate rooms if possible.

Disposable wipes aren't good enough in a situation like the flu.  I ordered Clorox Medical Grade Wipes from Amazon.  It comes in a large canister about 150 wipes. It kills all germs even C diff.  I use these every day, especially in the bathroom on sink, toilet, all door knobs, faucets, light switches, tv remotes, phones etc in house. 

Most important thing I learned is never to touch my face unless absolutely necessary.  So during this time I wouldn't even apply makeup if you wear makeup and brush hair away from your face so you don't have to fuss with that all day.  If you have an itch on your face use a piece of cloth to scratch it instead of your finger.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Most important thing I learned is never to touch my face unless absolutely necessary.  So during this time I wouldn't even apply makeup if you wear makeup and brush hair away from your face so you don't have to fuss with that all day.  If you have an itch on your face use a piece of cloth to scratch it instead of your finger.

@Deree That's the hardest thing for me to NOT do.....touch my face. But luckily, knock on wood, I haven't been sick in years. I do, however, wash my hands many times during the day.

Regular Contributor

Didn't read all the advice but I would cut up an onion and leave it in a bowel in a couple of rooms, they say it absorbs the germs.  The smell goes away pretty quickly, no need to change it every day.

Honored Contributor

@dsky Never heard that about an onion. That is interesting. Heart

Respected Contributor

@dsky wrote:

Didn't read all the advice but I would cut up an onion and leave it in a bowel in a couple of rooms, they say it absorbs the germs.  The smell goes away pretty quickly, no need to change it every day.

The smell of the onion or the bowel?